• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

update on patch's teeth help GA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just got back from the vets regarding patch not eating and dribbling.

The vet says his back teeth are growing to the side trapping his tongue and apparently they need to be filed down right at the back. I have got recovery sachets and syringes to feed him till monday whn he is booked in.

He didn't mention his front teeth that look too long to me and whn I asked does h have to have a GA he said yes and he might have to have this done every 6 weeks! at £80 a time this seems very expensive:(

Have I been given the right advice? patch isn't eating so something has to be done and I can't afford to keep going to different vets at £25 consultation fee a time

thanks

Can you not contact the CCT and see whether their is a rodentologist in your area?

How much experience does your vet have in dental work in guinea pigs? My dental piggies need their teeth filing every couple of weeks, but this is done conscious so therefore much safer for the piggy and costs a lot less. Would your vet be willing to file the teeth conscious? Does he have the correct equipment to hold open the mouth? I think you need to ask quite a few questions before going ahead with this.

How much experience does your vet have in dental work in guinea pigs? My dental piggies need their teeth filing every couple of weeks, but this is done conscious so therefore much safer for the piggy and costs a lot less. Would your vet be willing to file the teeth conscious? Does he have the correct equipment to hold open the mouth? I think you need to ask quite a few questions before going ahead with this.

The vet has worked in a small animal practise for 10 years but not sure how much experience he has got with GP's

I asked him if patch needs to be sedated and he said yes, he admited that they don't do well under GA:(

I just have this feeling something isn't right and time is running out for patch as he isn't eating and I need to start syringe feeding.

I will contact the cavy trust now:))

Yes,make sure you do. The problem most vets have, is that they won't have the right equipment to do the job. If they use the buccal pad separators, there is no reason, in most cases, to use GA to look in a guinea pigs mouth and file teeth.

My vet does Piggy teeth consciously although it's not always guaranteed depends on the pig and the problem. If GA is needed he would only knock the pig out for a short while.

I would ask lots of question, I know I did when Bette needed her teeth done but then again he had already explained what he would do. I also asked how often he had done pigs teeth and how they bounced back.

Are you not going back to the rodentologist who sorted him before?

He has never had this problem before as far as I know, I got him frim a lady on this forum back in August and he has been eating fine since then till now

Are you not going back to the rodentologist who sorted him before?

Sorry I was asking that to Hanwombat who said she was going to ask her vet those questions too. :)

I really hope you can find a vet who can help your piggie. It's definitely worth asking rescue centres about who they use.

Sorry I was asking that to Hanwombat who said she was going to ask her vet those questions too. :)

I really hope you can find a vet who can help your piggie. It's definitely worth asking rescue centres about who they use.

oopps sorry:))

Thanks, yes the vet me just wrote him off, gave me directions on how to mix up the recovery stuff but didn't say how many syringe fulls and how often I hav given him one syringe full and he lapped it up is this enough?

Is he eating anything for himself?

If you are fully syringe feeding a piggie you must aim to get about 120 mls of syringe food into them per day. I've syringe fed many dental pigs and can give you help and advice if you need it. It's hard work and at times you feel as though you are fighting a losing battle, but as long as you can get some decent work done on the teeth it is a battle that you can win.

Is he eating anything for himself?

If you are fully syringe feeding a piggie you must aim to get about 120 mls of syringe food into them per day. I've syringe fed many dental pigs and can give you help and advice if you need it. It's hard work and at times you feel as though you are fighting a losing battle, but as long as you can get some decent work done on the teeth it is a battle that you can win.

He will eat a bit of cucumber and thats about it:( he leaves pellets and hay even,

yes I am hoping to get a reply form the cavy trust and I am also looking for contact details for titch and chris in hastings:))

He will eat a bit of cucumber and thats about it:( he leaves pellets and hay even,

yes I am hoping to get a reply form the cavy trust and I am also looking for contact details for titch and chris in hastings:))

In that case you really need to be aiming to get at least 100 plus mls of syringe food in per day. Even with this amount, you will only just about maintain the weight.

In that case you really need to be aiming to get at least 100 plus mls of syringe food in per day. Even with this amount, you will only just about maintain the weight.

Okay I will do that, what sort of intervals? twice a day giving 50mls a time or all at once? o every 3 hours etc?

Okay I will do that, what sort of intervals? twice a day giving 50mls a time or all at once? o every 3 hours etc?

Try and do 25 mls at a time, four times a day or something like that...obviously if you can give more than 100 mls then go for it. The more the better. Some piggies will take a lot in one go and others prefer little and often. It needs to be what works for you and your piggie.

25ml is the maximum capacity a piggy stomach can handle at any one sitting..some can only do 20ml or less (depends upon the pig)...so you may have to feed a little less....but more often.

HTH
x

25ml is the maximum capacity a piggy stomach can handle at any one sitting..some can only do 20ml or less (depends upon the pig)...so you may have to feed a little less....but more often.

HTH
x

thanks for the info, I will stick to 20ml then every few hours for him you learn something new everyday:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back