• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Upper Respiratory Infection/ Antibiotic Intolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my boars was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection on the 28/12/11, and is currently receiving treatment in the form of Baytril!

However, unfortunately, he appears to have developed an intolerance to the Baytril - He has a swollen abdomen! Thankfully, he is still eating, but only very small amounts!

I am hoping to book a veterinary appointment tomorrow morning! However, I would like to discuss treatment with forum members prior to the appointment!

At this moment in time, I feel that I should suggest Frusemide, Vetrumex, fluid therapy, and multivitamins, or, possibly, a Vitamin B, or Anabolic steroid injection?! Any imput would be greatly appreciated, including cost of any of the above treatments - Card necessary?! :))

Thank you for your reply, Flintstones!

However, I do not believe that my boar is sensitive to Baytril - This is his second upper respiratory infection, and third course of Baytril (Initial treatment for his current infection appeared to be successful, but, unfortunately, 24-48 hours after finishing the treatment, symptoms reappeared - Therefore, he is on a slightly longer course of Baytril, in the hope that the infection will clear. . . If the symptoms reappear, another antibiotic will be considered. . . My boar is currently half way through his current course, and has developed a swollen abdomen in the last 24-48 hours)!

To be fair the fact his respiratory infection has returned would say to be a stronger antibiotic is needed.

Of course I am not vet and this is purely my opinion.

Unfortunately, while I have every right to discuss treatment with my veterinarian, ultimately, it is my veterinarian's decision as to the treatment my animal receives! Certainly, I have the right to refuse treatment until I can obtain a second opinion! However, I am not going to refuse treatment whilst I have a guinea pig with a potentially fatal condition!

Personally, I believe that my veterinarian made the right choice of antibiotic, and do not believe that my boar requires a stronger antibiotic - I believe that his infection has cleared, and the remainder of his course is simply precautionary! However, I did feel the length of the initial course was too short, and wish that I had addressed this issue at the appointment!

I forgot to mention that I will be asking for Metacam at the appointment! I think I will also discuss Panacur?!

I'm. Concerned about the enlarged abdomen...is it fluidy or air filled? Do you know how to check for fluid wave or tympani? I think he should go back to the vet ASAP.

The swollen belly could juts be bloat...which often accompanies antibiotics and the resulting dodgy guts. It may be the case your vet will prescribe a gut stimulant and some infacol.

I'm not vet but I'm not a fan of baytril, I think its too widely used now a days and ive always had poor results. Including ma little ralf who died from a respiratory infection. He was an old fella though, not trying to worry you.
Make sure he's eating enough as well by weighing, may need to supplement with syringe feeding. Keep wee piggie lovely and warm too.
Wishing your wee piggie a speedy recovery.

I am not a fan of Baytril as I have had a few pigs here stop eating on it and go on to have subsequent teeth issues as a result which then needed further treatment. However if this boar is still eating that's good - but you did say he's only eating tiny amounts?

Is he having a probiotic along with the antibiotic?

It sounds as though you are thinking it could be a heart issue. I had a piggy who was eventually diagnosed with a heart condition, who had respiratory issues.

In this case though, I'd have thought a different antibiotic might be in order first, plus some urgent probiotics.

Why were you thinking Panacur? For worms?

I'm. Concerned about the enlarged abdomen...is it fluidy or air filled? Do you know how to check for fluid wave or tympani? I think he should go back to the vet ASAP.

Unfortunately, I could not get a veterinary appointment this morning! However, I have the emergency veterinary number to hand, and my boar is being closely, and constantly monitored!

However, his abdomen does not sound hollow, therefore, I am guessing that there is some inflammation, and fluid accumulation - Metacam/ Frusemide?!

The swollen belly could juts be bloat...which often accompanies antibiotics and the resulting dodgy guts. It may be the case your vet will prescribe a gut stimulant and some infacol.

I'm not vet but I'm not a fan of baytril, I think its too widely used now a days and ive always had poor results. Including ma little ralf who died from a respiratory infection. He was an old fella though, not trying to worry you.
Make sure he's eating enough as well by weighing, may need to supplement with syringe feeding. Keep wee piggie lovely and warm too.
Wishing your wee piggie a speedy recovery.

Thankfully, my boar continues to pass relatively healthy looking stools! However, I do believe that a gut stimulant would be beneficial - I am considering Vetrumex?! However, I understand that there is some concern in regards to the use of this medication in guinea pigs?! However, I also believe that fluid therapy would also be beneficial - I was considering beginning fluid therapy 12-24 hours after the use of Frusemide?! Certainly, I can discuss Infacol - Thank you for the suggestion!

I can understand your feelings towards Baytril! Certainly, I am hoping that this is my boar's second, and last upper respiratoy infection/ infection *Touch wood* mallethead! However, should a future infection occur, I will be insisiting on a different antibiotic for him!

In regards to syringe feeding, as my boar has a neurological condition that causes him to throw his head back, I am hoping that syringe feeding will not be necessary! However, I have been told by my veterinary practice that my syringe feeding technique is correct, have experience with syringe feeding, and do have Critical Care should syringe feeding be necessary!

Naturally, I am trying to keep the room at a ideal, and constant temperature, and I have Snugglesafe heat pads!

Thank you for your wishes!

I am not a fan of Baytril as I have had a few pigs here stop eating on it and go on to have subsequent teeth issues as a result which then needed further treatment. However if this boar is still eating that's good - but you did say he's only eating tiny amounts?

Is he having a probiotic along with the antibiotic?

Unfortunately, he is eating smaller amounts than usual! However, I am concerned that even this smaller food intake will result in subsequent teeth issues - His teeth were checked, with the use of gauge Buccal Pad separators, on 28/12/11, by my veterinarian! Again, I am hoping to avoid syringe feeding for the above reason, but if I feel that syringe feeding is necessary, I will attempt to syringe feed very small amounts often - It can take fifeteen mniutes, or more to administer his medication!

He is currently receiving Protexin probiotic, which I am attempting to give 1-2 hours before, and after his antibiotics!

It sounds as though you are thinking it could be a heart issue. I had a piggy who was eventually diagnosed with a heart condition, who had respiratory issues.

In this case though, I'd have thought a different antibiotic might be in order first, plus some urgent probiotics.

Why were you thinking Panacur? For worms?

I am concerned that his current condition could progress, and result in a more serious condition, e.g. heart condition!

In regards to Panacur, I have heard that it can help with restoring gut flora?!

Last edited:
I do not really know what to say?! However, I have just checked on my boar, who greeted my at the front of the cage - He has not done this for several days -, and it appears that his appetite, and thirst has increased, and, best of all, the swelling has reduced considerably! :{

I am pleased to say that my boar's condition has continued to improve! However, I wish I knew the cause of this miraculous improvement?! Although, I am slightly stumped as what to do next - I feel that Frusemide, Vetrumex, Metacam, fluid therapy, multivitamins, and, possibly, Panacur would be beneficial?!

I would have your boar checked for possible heart issues. Recurring URIs can be linked to that. Frusemide is certainly an option I myself would consider. Many general vets are still of the opinion that guinea pigs don't suffer from heart problems. Unfortunately, that is not true.

There are other anitbiotics like septrin or the much stronger, last ditch highly antibacterial zithromax (azithromycin) that are alternatives to baytril if there is an intolerance.

Please monitor his weight daily.

I hope that your boy continues to improve over the weekend!

Thank you for your reply, Wiebke!

Unfortunately, in regards to heart conditions in guinea pigs, my knowledge is limited! However, I presume to diagnose a heart condition my veterinarian would listen for heart abnormalities, and observe my guinea pig's pulse, and respiratory rates, before suggesting an electrocardiogram, ultrasound, and/or radiograph?! ?/

Perhaps you would like a chat with Laura? She is no longer an active forum member, but she has had several heart piggies and can tell you more about treatment and diagnosis. Laura now runs the guinea pig helpline. Contacting the forum member Pebble, who is medically so much more knwoledgeable would be another option.
http://www.guineapighelpline.com/

My own knowledge is not very big, either, as I have no personal experience. I have currently one potential heart piggy (she's got a slower than normal heartbeat), but no other typical symptoms.

I have emailed Laura on a couple of occasions with other questions, so can certainly send Laura an email regarding heart conditions!

Likewise, besides common guinea pig ailments, my knowledge has developed from personal experience!

However, I understand that a slower heart rate is sometimes normal, and can be a sign of being very fit - Hopefully, this is the case with your female!

Best, and warmest wishes!

:(|)

I'm glad your wee fellas feeling better. Hows his weight doing?
Thankfully, my boar continues to pass relatively healthy looking stools! However, I do believe that a gut stimulant would be beneficial - I am considering Vetrumex?! However, I understand that there is some concern in regards to the use of this medication in guinea pigs?! However, I also believe that fluid therapy would also be beneficial - I was considering beginning fluid therapy 12-24 hours after the use of Frusemide?! Certainly, I can discuss Infacol - Thank you for the suggestion!
There a couple of stimulants thats are used in piggies, metaclopromide is the common one and is very good for ill piggies. There is also cisapride which is harder to get a hold of and is only just becoming available. My vet said the later is certainly better as it works on the correct part of the gut and more suited to guinea's but as its so expensive and hard t source its saved for critical situations.
Unfortunatl when a pigs on so many medications its hard to tell whats caused what and what could be side effects and what's actually symptoms......only a vet can actually diagnose.

Let us know how hes doing?

Don't know of it helps but I can give you my experience f=of heart piggies?

I have had three 'heart' piggies. All show similar symptons which include weight loss, not brilliant circulation and the one I notice the most is respiratory rate. All had a higher than normal respiratory rate and the ones which were the worse were very 'billowy' i.e their flanks tend to go in and out more when breathing, more so than the normal guinea. You will also notice that when they get excited this also increases their respiration rate.

Mine were/are all treated with Fortekor and Frusemide, the diuretic removing any excess fluid as the heart is not working as effectively as it should. It takes a while to get this combination right and with my latest little girl I have to play around with the dosage of frusemide depending on her breathing that day.

This treatment was ongoing for 18 months with Mr Melt, sadly Milly my original little sow and Mr Melt's sister did not last as long. But if you can catch it soon enough the prognosis seems very good. There was noticeable improvement in 48 hours in each case.

The other two did not suffer from respiratory infections at all, just sleepy and liked to be warm but my little sow does have repeated respiratory issues which we just manage day to day. She does also hoot a lot which apparently is also a sign of heart problems. She started doing this about 12 months before her heart starting causing problems.

With all, I made sure they were warm at all times as they do struggle with body temp. Milly used to sunbathe in the warm sun when the others were struggling with the heat for instance, she'd lie flat out basking in the sun whilst the others were in the shade! Mr Melt and Thelma lived on their heat pads!

Hope that helps, just my experience....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back