• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Two of my pigs had a fight last week and couldn't find any obvious injuries to start with but seperated them. Over the days one has been more subdued and tonight he has started licking and licking at his shoulder. On closer inspection I've now found a pus filled hole which doesn't smell too good. Have cleaned out with warm salt water and have some Dermisol healing cream I could put on but am worried it says horses sheep and cats on tube but not piggies! Also should I go shop and get tcp or just stick with the salt water? Obviously I will get him to vet first thing Monday morning but just need best solution till they open?

I definitely would try to ring the vet-there must be someone there to pick up the phone incase of emergencies?

It sounds like he has suffered a bite that has become infected. I know guinea pigs can wriggle alot, so I don't know practical this would be...but if you can, try to get as much puss out as possible, and then clean out the wound as you've been doing, with a warm, mild salt water solution (not too much salt, or it will hurt poor piggy alot).

Oh, and I forgot to say-maybe best to avoid any ointments, as he is licking himself, and will end up injesting it...

Do you think TCP or not? My hubby thinks it's the best. We've flushed it out and will have another go before bed. I'm wondering whether to get his aubiose out and put some vet bed down instead as that could get in the wound?

TCP is not the best for a bite abcess in my opinion

Given his history he needs antibiotics as quicky as possible and the wound properly drained..ie tomorrow. Think salt water (or preferably hibiscrub) to flush it out...and discuss this with yourvet.

You will also need to spend quite a bit of time each day re-draining the abcess according to vets instuctions..which if followed should give him a full recovery

Sorry to hear he is poorly

HTH
x

2% hibiscrub ..ie 2ml diluted in 98ml (boiled and cooled) water

x

For a sick piggy with an infected wound....keep on newspaper to prevent wound contamination ...provide a fleece/towel/old cotton pyjamas etc to burrow into to keep wam. Keep all food in small bowls...and provide hay in a rack/suspended from the top of the cage......provide extra Vit C added to Critical care/Supreme Recovery by syringe

Keep flushing/drainig the bacess with salt water or dulite hibiscrub

Tough call to organise this I know...but diligence is needed in these circummstances to ensure best chance of full recovery

HTH
x

After cleansing with salt water we had very good results using Forever Livings Aloe Vera Gel on wounds and abcesses and unlike some treatments it doesnt matter if piggie licks it as its safe for them to eat.

My pig Dory had the same thing happen to him late last year. It was really mad cos one day he was fine, and the next day he had a massive welt on the middle of his side - I just couldn't understand what had happened then I realised Stevie must have bitten him!

The vet basically decided that because it was quite deep it'd be better to remove it toally so he was put under and woke up fine with a big stiched side. He was on septrin and I cleaned the wound with hibi every day. It got infected but eventually healed up nicely and he's completely fine now.

Here's the story and pics if you want to see...

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55422&highlight=dory
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55572&highlight=dory
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56017&highlight=dory

good luck with your little man. I think the quicker you see a cavy savvy vet the better xx

It is looking much better this morning and he is a lot brighter. Have just done salt water again and off to the yard to pick up the hibiscrub. Thanks for all your help and advice, I think I went into panic mode last night but luckily hubby is quite calm and level headed in emergencies and doesn't mind sqeezing pus!

He still needs to see the vet though as abcesses can go quite deep so you need to be careful. Let us know how it goes x

Been to vet, all clipped and flushed, got to hibiscrub and squeeze 3 times a day then fill the holes with honey :)>>>

I think Pebble advised me not to bother with honey when this happened with Dory, check the threads I posted.
Have they put him on septrin? dose? x

Baytril and Meloxydyl both O.2ml once a day, go back thursday. Also recovery sachets as he's not really eating or drinking much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back