• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent! My Guinea Pigs Are Losing Their Fur Very Quickly And Has Flaky Skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mona

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We may have used the wrong shampoo to wash the guinea pigs for the last half year. We used a dog shampoo for fleas. The last month or so, our guinea pigs has lost a lot of fur on the lower part of their body. They now developed thick powdery skin, and flaky. They seemed to be very itchy and when they scratch, they have scratched off their fur and their skin became bloody.
Please help!

The Furry Godmother

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Best advice? Get an appointment with a cavvy savvy vet today. There is a recommended vet locator above ^

Sounds like it could be mites or a fungal infection. Do not home treat this as home treatments have an amazing ability to make things worse.

P.S. Don't use the dog shampoo, also it's not recommended to bathe guinea pigs unless using actual treatment, or if they are dirty, twice a year is suffice if necessary :)

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I can post properly on my lunchbreak but I agree they need an appointment today if possible. I am also suspecting fungal. Please note though that only ringworm will test positive if a culture is done whereas there are many other types. My preferred treatment is with Imaverol dips.

Mange mites are also a possibility and should ideally be treated with a course of Ivermectin injections.

There is a chance it is a reaction to the shampoo aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.