• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Urgent please give me some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My guinea pigs have been on wagg optimum premium since I got them from their breeder in October.

I keep the 10kg bag in the garage and fill up a cereal container which I keep by the cage in my room. Today I used the last of what was in the cereal container (which was last refilled by my mum) and when I went down to the garage I had no food left! My mum hadn't told me when she had used it up.

I got that bag from Asda but they don't stock it anymore, as I have just found out.

I don't know what else to do, if I order some it won't get here until next week!

Is there any food that is similar and easier to get hold of that I could give them for the next few days, or could switch them to? e.g. Burgess Excel?

I took in a little boar just over 2 weeks ago and they couldnt tell me what food he ate mallethead so I put him straight onto the excel the same as my girls and he's had no problems what so ever. You could get some and mix what you have left into it over a few days.

Sarah x

I don't have any left to mix and I'm concerned about swapping straight away because I don't want to make them ill.

I don't have any left to mix and I'm concerned about swapping straight away because I don't want to make them ill.

If you change them on to a similar food... If your feeding them pellets... Just give them a different food but keep it to pellets... No museli...

I never bother with mixing food for the new pigs that come in to rescue... Most are fed gertie guinea pig and they are given burgess straight away and all of them are fine... :))

Have you got a pet shop or something close by...?
x

My guinea pigs have been on wagg optimum premium since I got them from their breeder in October.

I keep the 10kg bag in the garage and fill up a cereal container which I keep by the cage in my room. Today I used the last of what was in the cereal container (which was last refilled by my mum) and when I went down to the garage I had no food left! My mum hadn't told me when she had used it up.

I got that bag from Asda but they don't stock it anymore, as I have just found out.

I don't know what else to do, if I order some it won't get here until next week!

Is there any food that is similar and easier to get hold of that I could give them for the next few days, or could switch them to? e.g. Burgess Excel?

Strange as it may sound, but B&Q also sell Wagg for Guinea pigs! I used to get my food from B&Q until I just put them on a diet of nuggets only.

If you change them on to a similar food... If your feeding them pellets... Just give them a different food but keep it to pellets... No museli...

I never bother with mixing food for the new pigs that come in to rescue... Most are fed gertie guinea pig and they are given burgess straight away and all of them are fine... :))

Have you got a pet shop or something close by...?
x

So because they've been on pellets, if I buy the burgess pellets and give them to them straight away they should be ok?

Dawny, do B&Q only do the muesli then?

I would get a bag of burgess and give small amounts each day.

How old are your pigs?

Have you got independent pet shops in your area that stock Wagg Optimum (google search)?

Ideally, up to 80% of the daily food intake should be hay, so even if they don't eat pellets for a few days, they won't fall ill! I had one particular girl hold out for three weeks when I shifted her onto pellets by the cold turkey method because any other attempts had failed... Just give a bit more vitamin C high veg like one more slice of pepper, some broccoli or parsley until your Wagg turns up!

If you have still sub-adult piggies, I would recommend getting Burgess pellets and using a mix of Wagg and Burgess from now on in to avoid situations like these.

I would get a bag of burgess and give small amounts each day.

How old are your pigs?

They are 24 weeks old as of yesterday so.. 6 months! Wow didn't realise.

So is the general opinion that I should just put them on Burgess excel straight away?

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm having the same problem as you. When my husband went to Asda today he saw a new brand food (Something beginning with H) with a label saying 'replacing Wagg' - anyone know if this is a brand takeover or just an Asda thing? My boys are being well picky with their new offerings but I just read a post on here that has encouraged me to persevere!

So because they've been on pellets, if I buy the burgess pellets and give them to them straight away they should be ok?

Dawny, do B&Q only do the muesli then?

Yes, every B&Q I have been to up and down the country sell the Guinea pig muesli. Bit of useful information as you wouldnt really expect a DIY shop to sell guinea pig stuff. Lols. x

Amazon do the 10k bags of Wagg Optimum which I order, used to buy them from Asda but a bulk bag is easier :))
Best to email Wagg and see if they are phasing these pellets out, hope not as all of my 15 piggies love it :...
I have a container with some Burgess Excel and Wagg Crunch for emergencies but place my order when I can see there's around a weeks supply left as it takes 2-3 days delivery.
Maybe your mum just didn't think but any dry piggy food will not harm them as long as they have their veggies and lots of hay :)

Update

Husband has just returned from Asda with a bag of Harrington's guinea pig food - it has a sticker on saying 'replacing Wagg', hurrah, my pigs are well happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back