• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

urgent please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
we got ruffles a couple of days ago from PParadise.

I thought he was dead in his cage - I couldn't see him breathing and we stroked him a couple of times, usually he would run away. He didn't move.

He's not sitting on my lap, I can see his chest going but it's irratic, kind of in three's and the nothing for a second or two...

I haven't *seen* him eat anything - food veg or hay, all I know is it all gets gone.

I'm so scared, somoene reply to me.

I've phoned the vets and they basically said if he's not ddead bring him in tomorrow :'( I hate my vets. x

i wish i could tell you somethign that could help your little baby. i hope he is ok, stay with him as long as you can, offer him comfort and love. do you see anything around him that he could have ingested, that could be poisonous? I'm sorry I'm not of much help. keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

i wish i could tell you somethign that could help your little baby. i hope he is ok, stay with him as long as you can, offer him comfort and love. do you see anything around him that he could have ingested, that could be poisonous? I'm sorry I'm not of much help. keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Nope, there is nothing as far as I can see. I've checked his stomach to see if maybe his tummy was hurting him and he didn't even murmer. I turned him upside down to see if he was havng problems going to the loo.

Well... I kinda feel a little dumb now, as he's running around and squeaking BUT, when I was panicing he was hardly breathing, not moving - so much so that I thought he was dead. I stroked him, he stayed dead still. I poked him gently, dead still. I clapped my hand s- everyone else hid - he stayed dead still.... His breathing was irratic it's almost like he's hardly breathing at all. he's fur is on spikes - yeah I know he's rough coated but it's not looking the same, you know?

hmm thats weird. I'm glad he's moving now. still take him to the vet...it just occured to me that maybe something scared him? When they are reeeally scared they "play dead." I have never seen it, but i know it happens. So maybe he was faking? lol just to be safe def see the vet!

the radiator is on in that room and a similar thing happened once before, when all my pigs lived in that room, I put the radiator on to keep it nice and toasty and all the pigs sat down, didn't move didn't do anything. I was like.... d'wah! Then I turned the heating of fand all of a sudden they were active again...

xx

He might of been, it's been a tad of a dramatic morning so far and i'm not even sure the rest of the UK is awake LOL. could he have sensed something wrrong? x

I used to have a pet mouse who would do this- we thought she was dead several times. She would actually go stiff and cold and barely breathe! There was not a whole lot of testing the vet could do on a mouse being as they are so tiny, but the vet's best guess was that she had some kind of seizure disorder. She had an episode like this every couple of months or so, and I would hold her, try to warm her up, and when she started to come around I would give her honey nut cheerios (the sugar seemed to perk her up a bit!) She lived to be about three, which is a pretty good lifespan for a mouse.

I used to have a pet mouse who would do this- we thought she was dead several times. She would actually go stiff and cold and barely breathe! There was not a whole lot of testing the vet could do on a mouse being as they are so tiny, but the vet's best guess was that she had some kind of seizure disorder. She had an episode like this every couple of months or so, and I would hold her, try to warm her up, and when she started to come around I would give her honey nut cheerios (the sugar seemed to perk her up a bit!) She lived to be about three, which is a pretty good lifespan for a mouse.

If they are seizures, he's having another one. xx

His breathing is getting slower and shallower and his eyes are closing...I'm so scared. I'm just willing him to hold on untill 830. x8...8...8...8...

I'm ordering a taxi in ten mins or so *sigh* I hate vets, they're so frustrating sometimes. Well, I should say I hate *my* vets. Which I am changing today. I will NEVER use them again after they tried to deter me from calling them out... x

Good that he can see a vet very soon.

You say that the radiator is on in the room and that other piggies living in that room in the past have shown similar behaviour - I'm just wondering what temperature you keep it at? Sudden changes in temperature can affect guineas quite badly so it needs to be kept constant, make sure it isn't too hot - no warmer than 20 degrees (get a room thermometer) and certainly dont keep the cage anywhere near the radiator.

Hope the little chap is soon feeling better.

Teresa xx

oh no what a traumatic night! It does sound odd that it comes and goes and I hope the poor little boy is ok.

:( i hope he is ok.

I was thinking some sort of leak within the wall near the radiator if it happens when its on. We had a massive leak here last year, we were all pretty lucky. Except me i was the only one who got ill.

Ive never experianced a "still" seizure in an animal, but have heard storys of them playing dead for attention. He has never had a seizure before. Its very puzzling is Saturn ok?

Let me know what the vets have said.

Hope the little chap is okay *hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back