Using Tea Tree and Manuka Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linden

Hi All!

Does anyone have any experience with using tea tree oil or manuka honey with guinea pigs?

You may have read my other thread on Truffles' tooth abscess - thanks to all who have responded. This has prompted me to ask the above.

Re. tea tree, my vet reckons it's fine to use it diluted on open wounds. But what do you dilute it with? Water (it won't really mix, will it?) or a carrier oil such as almond oil?

Re. Manuka honey, my vet reckons that, while he has heard of it being used on wounds on horses and dogs, it was concerned about using it on gps. His problem with it is that when the gp is grooming they may swallow some. Its antibiotic/bacteriostatic properties could then play havoc with the gut flora, which would be really serious, possibly fatal.

Interested to know of anyone else's experiences / opinions / thoughts.

L

LyndsayRDH

I personally have never used Manuka honey, but know it is often recommended to pack an abscess after a hole forms. However, tea tree oil is deadly if ingested. Most dental offices use Clove Oil for this reason, which will also work beautifully on your guinea pig. Just get some Oil of Cloves and put a few drops onto the infected abscess several times a day. I combine that with Sovereign Silver drops several times a day. I am also a dental hygienist by the way. The silver is a natural antibiotic, but if you are already using an antibiotic skip this then. Be sure you are also doing probiotics. The Clove Oil contains Eugenol which is a natural anesthetic and has a natural antibacterial as well. Normally, it is placed on a dissolvable gauze and packed into the abscess hole or put on cotton and placed in the mouth then removed (don't recommend this one for guinea pigs) or just dillute and put a few drops onto the infected area.

L

LyndsayRDH

I forgot to put I often use tea tree oil for things such as lice, mites, fungal infections, etc of coat, but never in the mouth.

A

Aya.

Sorry Lyndsay but saying its safe to use silver drops on guinea pigs when in actual fact it is extremely dangerous is very worrying! :o

So your advice is complete bulls*it! :tickedoff: which any cavy friendly person/vet would tell you!, just ask MaryH on this forum!.

L

Lez

i agree with aya on this one. you keep telling people to use silver and tea tree and they arent safe :-\

Reaction score
Personally i would not use the Tea tree oil as i don't now how it affects guinea pigs
The honey i would be worried about the sugar content damaging teeth i love homey But using it on guineas even on a wound they would get it everywhere when grooming
and its sticky enough! Though would be a good one to use as its a natural
Just thought does Goregous guineas use tea tree oil in their products?
i'll check that one out!
:smitten:

S

sarsmccabe

If my vet handed me something to out on my piggies, i'd be more than happy to use. But I would never use tea tree or anything else on my piggies as I have no idea what would happen to them. xx

Reaction score
GG use it in shampoos etc but diluted with other oils and in lotions etc
I'd not use it on its own or diluted directly on skin
I've used it on me enough thou works fab on me and i love the smel!

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
LyndsayRDH said:
I forgot to put I often use tea tree oil for things such as lice, mites, fungal infections, etc of coat, but never in the mouth.

So you're telling us on one thread to use it for mites and lice and here that we shouldn't use it? Guinea pigs are just as likely to ingest it through grooming.

Giving out advice like this when you're obviously not sure yourself is not a good idea.

Tayz

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
sorry, my computer stuffed up and didn't get my whole reply in.
I'm allergic to tee tree oil so i wouldn't know about it...i woulsn't use tee tree oil on pigs anyway

L

LyndsayRDH

Ok, I don't know why you guys are jumping on me. Her vet is the one that recommended the tea tree oil, WHICH SHOULDN'T BE USED IN THE MOUTH! I was just letting her know my experiences. When used on the coat, it is massaged in using only a few drops, and then rinsed. Silver is commonly used on guinea pigs in many places. Apparently you guys are not familiar. I haven't been putting this up anymore except for when people specifically discuss natural alternatives. Saying it isn't safe is kinda pointless b/c it is just as safe as antibiotics. Silver is used in many hospitals also, most people just dont' know that. Anyways, Clove oil and Silver can both be used to rinse abscesses. In fact, clove oil is used daily in dental offices and silver is used daily in hospitals.

L

Linden

Good morning all (and what a gorgeous, sunny morning it is here in Bonnie Scotland!)

Have just realised that I've put this thread in General Chat rather than Heatlh 98) 98), but many thanks for all your posts.

I guess the problem with many of these treatments, veterinary and alternative/holistic/complementary, is that there have been so few (if any) clinical studies done on their effects in gps. As soon as you cross the species barrier all bets are off! And it's not just a case of different doses related to size. My vet was telling me that while he might get away with using an oxytetracycline antibiotic on a gp, it would kill a horse!

Got some useful info from MaryH on my Tooth Abscess thread:

"I have been using High Potency Manuka honey for some years now.I told Peter Gurney about it,he researched it,and started to use it on his own pigs,and then recommmended it on his Health Page.

I have used it to help heal ulcerated bumblefoot and to pack into abscess holes.It does work well.I have not had any problem with it being ingested.,but I do not think this would be a aproblem anyway as the amount used is so small.

I do not recommend Tea Tree products for gps,it is too strong."

Reaction score
Linden said:
I guess the problem with many of these treatments, veterinary and alternative/holistic/complementary, is that there have been so few (if any) clinical studies done on their effects in gps.
I agree its sad ase things are tried out are hit and miss and treating conditions even in other rodents doesnot mean it will work every time and on all creatures!
It is sad to think this is why guinea pigs have been used in the past!
And the doses would be so small too not the what i think are huge doses for us humans!
Honey is good for wounds use it daily at work unfortunately its no good to teeth ask me dentist!
how would it be used on guineas?

A

Andersons

The use of honey as a healer for wounds goes back to the ancient Greeks. It was used in World War I on the battle fields because antibiotics weren't discovered until 1943.

Status
Not open for further replies.