• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

UTI Antibiotic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my pigs (Putt) has a suspected UTI and visited the vets last night. We have been given Baytril 0.2ml to be given twice daily, this has already been mixed by the vet with water and the solution a total of 1ml to be syringe fed twice daily.

Tried syringing the antibiotic this morning and not sure it all went in, as her chin was wet. So I put some drops on Curly Parsley and she ate that.

Is it ok to soak celery leaves in the solution or put it on parsley leaves as I think this would have a better chance of getting into her system? or does it have to be by syringe?

Also I am taking the other pig (Pitch) tonight as she has displayed symptoms, unfortunately she had dental work done last week and still inot eating too well so am worried about her on Baytril as it may decrease her appetite.
What probiotic should I ask for and is it possible to put the pro-biotic on the food also?

I have heard that Septin is better for UTI but our vet won't prescribe it. So looks like we are stuck with Baytril for now....

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you had a read of this post?

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36533

I hope it helps. It does need syringing directly into the mouth, it is the *only* way to be sure the full dose is going in....but I do understand what you are saying! Hopefully once you get some tips from that thread you will get the hang of it. I admit I'm an old meanie, no matter what the med, I'm used to syringing pigs so I just put it straight in.

Did the vet prescribe a painkiller/anti-inflammatory at all? Are either of them squeaking when peeing?

Plenty of fluids is also key.

The probiotic it seems most vets stock is either Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex. Bio-Lapis is a small sachet of powder, make up small amounts with water at a time and syringe into the mouth. Fibreplex I like as it is a gel type substance, I get a dab on my finger and wipe into piggies mouth, behind the incisors. Probiotics tend to be best given an hour or two after the antibiotic.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Laura,

Pitch is crying a little when weeing. Putt is making a slight noise which was what caught my attention as she doesn't use her little voice even when vet gives her injections.

Putt's wee was tested for Blood and it showed up. He felt her bladder to check for obvious stones. Taking Pitch and her urine tonight.

Had a crash course in syringe feeding last week and it is soooo difficult, Pitch wriggles her head so you can't get syringe in and screams the house down (not a quiet pig!) I think it's just practice but am so concerned that I am failing them by not doing it right, I need to be stronger and less nervous.

No painkillers/anti inflamtory were given. Both pigs are happily going about they're daily business and don't seem in distress. Was a little cooncerned on the low dossage of 0.2ml baytril twice a day - especially if it isn't all going in.
Should I ask him to up the dosage to 0.4ml twice a day? Or stick with the low dose for a week and see how it goes?

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The pigs do pick up on any nerves you have, and it is just a case of practice. I do understand the feeling well, the first few times I had a pig in one hand and syringe in another, well I went through plenty of struggles and worrying about letting the pig down before I got the hang of it. Would you believe, the first time I had to syringe anything to a pig, it took three people? One to hold the pig, one to hold his head still, and the other to administer the meds! It makes me smile to remember.

I only occasionally get a challenging pig now, one of my own will pull every trick in the book to make it difficult for me, and I have had a few challenging boarders. Most pigs do attempt to avoid me, but most notice that I'm not nervous and that I don't take any messing, I am firm but fair. You will get there, it's just a bit of time and practice.

Regarding the Baytril dosage, depends how much the vet has given you and how old/heavy the boys are. If you have enough and if both boys tolerate it ok, then I would personally increase it, I regret not doing so for a pig of mine in September, a different medical issue but same principle.

And again, it is up to you if you choose to give any pain meds, I personally do even if there are no obvious cries of pain, simply because with any urinary infection there will be inflammation along the way, and I feel recovery has the potential to be easier and quicker when the inflammation is dealt with earlier on. However if a pig with cystitis symptoms went off their food as well, the first thing I would give is a painkiller.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again, that makes me feel easier. Just a case of being more firm with them, they know I'm a soft touch :-)

They are both girls and are 4 and a half years old. Putt weighs 1.16kg and Pitch only 931g - due to dental last week. Am going to check on boths tolerance before upping dossage.
I don't want to stop Pitch eating the little she is at moment as she's just gaining weight.

Have just ordered some avipro off a website so hoping that turns up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.