• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Valentines Day Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kedwards

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can't believe it was Christmas Day that my husband and I found out that we are expecting our first baby. Now my 12 week scan is on Monday - Valentines Day. Half nervous, half excited and hoping everything is fine. Anything I should know from all your lovely ladies that have been through it? Kate x

Aww I remember them well, such an amazing experience.

The 12 week scan is pretty quick generally, they measure bubs for dates and check how many babies your having and look if everything looks ok, but most of the checking for anomalies etc is done at 20 weeks.

Go with a full bladder but not too full else you'll be in agony when they're pressing on you, some places you have to have cash/change to pay for the photo's (I think Birmingham I had to have pound coins and buy a ticket from a machine), so it's worth checking how much they are (think my last ones in Coventry were about £7 each).

Some people suggest drinking a can of coke or eating chocolate before the scan to wake bubs up, my daughter waved/kicked/wiggled loads through my scans, my son never moved in any of them!

Enjoy- my first scan was one of the best experiences of my life, seeing my daughter (now 3) waving her little arms and legs and thinking "there's actuaaly a real person in my tummy"

Hi I had my 12 week scan on Wednesday which was amazing. (Second baby). Make sure you have a full bladder as I did not which meant I had to wait around after drinking lots of water as it makes it harder for them to see the baby clearly.

It is amazing to watch the little one moving and turning. I know that Southampton used to charge for photos (£5) in a machine but luckily they have changed that now so do not charge for photos. Make sure you take some money if you want the photos as I do not know what other areas charge and also the parking at the hopsitals tend to cost. Even though the scan did not take so long because I had not had enough to drink and then baby would not move into the best position to be measured I had to go in 4 times in total as was there for 2 1/2 hours!

You will get another chance to see the baby again I assume with the 19/20 week scan which will show even more than you will be able to see at this point.

Hope all goes well for you. :)

Hello

Had our scan this morning and everything appeared just perfect. I think it was probably the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed and we're over the moon.

The sonographer checked that the head, arms and legs all looked normal and measured the nuchal fold which is standard practice where i live. I will have my bloods taken on Wednesday but the measurement from the scan was 1.2mm which I believe is in the normal range.

I couldn't believe how much the baby was wriggling; kicking it's legs and waving it's arms. We got two pics that I shall try to upload at some point.

The sonographer also said that the cyst on my ovary which releases the hormones was huge and that this explains why I have been pretty poorly. I've been sick on average three times a day with no let up although I'm hoping this will pass soon!

I've been put back a week to 11+4 but that's fine, so have a rescheduled EDD of September 1st. It all seems very real now and I'm allowing myself to start telling people and getting excited.

Thanks for your support,

Kate x

Glad all went well.

From some info I looked at after my scan 1.2mm is a good measurement for the nuchal fold. I think along as it is under 2mm for 11 weeks or 2.8mm by 14 weeks then that is good. In Southampton they also combine this with a blood test to work out the combined risk, but it sounds like that is all good.

Hope the sickness eases off and the rest of your pregnancy goes well. :)

Really good news congrats x

I am also pregnant with my first, 29 weeks tomorrow. Your nuchal fold sounds perfectly normal, so that should be OK.

I sympathise with the sickness. I had it from about 6 weeks up until around 18 weeks, and I still get the odd bout. Had to be on tablets 3 times a day. Also suffered from extreme fatigue, and now have SPD, which is fantastic and keeps me almost house bound and in pain with every step! What fun pregnancy is! However it will all be worth it when bubs is here :)

Hope your pregnancy continues to progress well and your sickness eases soon x

Oh no! The first thing I learnt about pregnancy is that it's not glamorous! I really should have asked for tablets earlier rather than struggling through. Well done on your pregnancy; wishing you health and happiness. Off to cuddle my two little piggy babies to share the love... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back