Vegetarians/Vegans

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Is there any other vegetarians or vegans? I have been vegearian for about 8 years.

Ellie
TGPF Admin

M

Michele

i am a veggie. I eat fish though. I have been for 3.5 years due to medical reason ( lost 3 stone from it)

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Piggiewiggy said:
i am a veggie. I eat fish though. I have been for 3.5 years due to medical reason ( lost 3 stone from it)

3 stone? - Wish I lost 3 stone when I became veggie. lol Don't think I could of lost that much then to be honest! lol :)

Ellie
TGPF Admin

M

Michele

i was over weight then i needed too. but it was the intention to lose it. but so glad now.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm vegan been one since last July, was veggie for 26 years before that :) lost 4 stone since cutting back on dairy then going vegan ;D am intollerant to egg white and dairy too.

Alison

L

lukey

I do tend to eat veggie stuff but have the occasional meat product, its just not mcdonalds if it has meat substitutes or just salad in it... I believe in the cause, but could never go the whole hog and go vegan, id starve to death

StromasDragon

Reaction score
Am not a veggie but i don't seem to eat that much meat when i cook i mainly use Quorn. Maybe i Should just become a veggie then.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Its weird but I eat more since going vegan as dairy use to make me ill! Yet not put the weight i lost back on even eating vegan choc each day!

Am always eating me ::)

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
You should become a veggie StromasDragon :) I had some quorn burgers today. Hadn't had them before and they were so nice! Espeically in a roll with slice of cheese and ketchup! Yum!

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
aaargh no! I spend most of my life on the Atkins diet (compiled by my very talented piggy Dr Atkins) so I eat lots of meat. I am a coeliac too though which means I cannot eat any gluten (wheat, oats, rye or barley) because it ulcerates the bowel ) so if I didn't eat meat there wouldn't be much left to eat!

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive a friend who is vegan and coeliac and she struggles when eating out like me :( wish places would add a couple of dishes that are ok for coeliacs and for vegans - wheat seems to crop up in most things ::) the pizza and pasta place I'm going to today is unusual in that it does vegan aswell as gluten free (owners coeliac) othewise unless you cook yourself theres not many options.I think its up to every individual to decide and find what foods suit them best......but its hard having to plan in advance if eating out/at friends

Have got plenty of veggie/vegan recipes to share if anyone wants any? plus gluten free versions too :)

C

cutecavy

I'm not a veggie however I hate most meat and also I hate fish! I want to become one soon though :D

Livie

x

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
It must be very hard eating out if your vegan. I always think that they don't put enough vegetarian options on the menu but for vegans it must be a lot harder. I had never actually thought of that before.

When people turn vegetarian or vegan it is not always for the same reason. It could be for medical reasons, don't like to eat animals and are against them being killed for food, just don't like meat e.t.c.

Some people also say they are vegetarian when they eat fish!

I chose to become vegetarian because I don't like the thought of my body being an animal graveyard. Just the thought of the animal being killed for food I find disgusting. I also turned vegetarian around the time I first got guinea pigs. Just seeing their little faces made me think how could I eat other animals such as cows, pigs e.t.c. I know that this is a very hot topic and lots of people may diasgree with me. We are all entitled to our opinions and also like you said alison, it is for the individual to decide. I have tried to make so many people stop eating meat but at the end of the day I know you can't do that.

My mum said she always knew I would become vegetarian because when I was very very little I asked what was for dinner and she said "Chicken" and I replied "Thats weird, it has the same name as an animal!"

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went veggie at 6 once id worked out the link between cute lambs in the field and the packaged type in the supermarket! Luckily mum was fine and supported me (dad just thought it was a phase!)

Last year i had blood tests and found I'm intollerant to egg, dairy, banana ad cashew nuts, had tried going vegan before but never kept to it, i also went to a vegan fair and have met lots of new friends thru vegan chat forums - got loads of advice and never looked back, i help out at these events now - I encourage people to try vegan food but woud never 'preach' I'm known as a vegan buddy!

It is hard eating out but today ive had vegan garlic bread and pizza with soya cheese out and coffee with soya milk:) I tend to ring places in advance and i do campaign for more vegan choices

I know Il stay vegan now - have read into the dairy industry and what goes on and theres no way personally i could eat dairy/egg again, feel so much healthier and happier now and my years of yo yo dieting and having IBS are finally over!

Alison

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
alisont said:
I went veggie at 6 once id worked out the link between cute lambs in the field and the packaged type in the supermarket! Luckily mum was fine and supported me (dad just thought it was a phase!)

Last year i had blood tests and found I'm intollerant to egg, dairy, banana ad cashew nuts, had tried going vegan before but never kept to it, i also went to a vegan fair and have met lots of new friends thru vegan chat forums - got loads of advice and never looked back, i help out at these events now - I encourage people to try vegan food but woud never 'preach' I'm known as a vegan buddy!

It is hard eating out but today ive had vegan garlic bread and pizza with soya cheese out and coffee with soya milk:) I tend to ring places in advance and i do campaign for more vegan choices

I know Il stay vegan now - have read into the dairy industry and what goes on and theres no way personally i could eat dairy/egg again, feel so much healthier and happier now and my years of yo yo dieting and having IBS are finally over!

Alison

Thats great. I am so glad that you feel much healthier now.

When I turned veggie, I was only 11 and was the only one in the family not eating meat. I think its quite an acheivement at that age, I managed to stop eating meat and start eating different food while everybody else was having chinese with meat in and McDonald burgers e.t.c. I managed to stick to it and now that I haven't eated meat for such a long time, I could never go back to eating it ever. When I was at school in food tech, one of the lads decided to hide meat in this something I made and I bit into it not knowing it was in there. I remember I told the teacher and she did nothing about it. I think that is completely wrong as its like my "religion" not to eat meat.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Being veggie now vegan has been such a big part of my life - everyone at work gets fed up with my vegan talk (but love the vegan chocs i take in)

Am that into things I'm even tracking down hairdressers that use cruelty free organic hair dyes so i can get my hi lites re done! Going to cost more and means travelling possibly to London but never mind!

After that last step is to ditch leather - am not buying any more leather shoes but still wearing what ive already got - anything i buy from now on will be from vegan shops (but dont think work will spend £70 on vegan steel toe capped safety boots!)

Have just been invited to a leaving do - have allready rung the pub and discussed vegan food with the chef - hes offered to cook what i want if i provide the recipe!

Its much easier now than in the 70's when i went veggie!

Alison :)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I've been veggie for ever it seems as a child i hated meat and only ate the occasional piece of beef up until I was about 24 (I'm now 44) I've never eaten poultry or fish in my life but love chicken flavour crisps lol, I think veggie food now is so much tastier then meat they add more flavours to it so things like sausages taste loads better, and no gristle, I dont think I could go vegan because cheese is my protein I detest lentils and nuts ugh! but am trying to find a good healthy diet to lose about 2 stone to help with my health problems,
mum said as a child i would never eat flesh as I called it my evil mum in law tried to trick me into eating chicken once for me to walk out, how could she do that! I never forgave her until the day she died last may
I guess basically I dont eat anything with a face lol, mind you I am married to the worlds biggest carnivore and when we married i only agreed to marry him if i did'nt have to clean a chicken etc 27 year nearly I have never done so, and never intend to,
I have not even been in a butchers shop since i was a child with mum

Status
Not open for further replies.