Very Frustrated - Gym Just Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so frustrated - went up to the gym this morning to find out it had closed down with no warning. It was just a little ladies only gym and I know that it isn't hugely busy but a bit of warning would have been nice. I also paid up for a year so am worried that I am going to miss out on 6 months money.

However, my main issue is that it took me AGES to build up the courage to join a gym in the first place - one of the things that helped was that it was ladies only which lessened my fear of making an idiot of myself!

I am now trying to find a new gym before I lose motivation. I am torn between a local leisure centre and bannatynes. Is anyone a member of bannatynes? It is super expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is proper annoying, fitness first did this in Wolves around 3 years ago... after a fire above it.... Never re-opened. My advice would be try both out, we joined another gym but it wasn't as nice an experience and they had very little in variety of classes so stopped going as much. It took 2 years before we got out the rut and found one we were happy with, since then have been a lot more to it. So would advise making a careful informed decision to make sure you like the feel of the place. Bannatynes I am sure would give you a day pass to try it out... never been to one of those.

Hope you get your membership money back x

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I really believe that is a poor way to treat members of the gym, you are paying to use their facility and a little respect to know it closed would be nice! Good luck with getting your membership money back. We have never been to that gym, like Lee says I'm sure they could give you a taster session to see if you like it.

I'd be really peeved off too x

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
thanks guys. I am going to have a look around a couple of gyms over the next week or so and take my time to make a decision

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I share your pain, it took me years to take the plunge, i tried different places but never felt that comfortable until I finally got down to the local gym. It's council run but the staff are brilliant, the kit is really good and whilst the changing rooms aren't as posh as Ballatynes, it does what I need it. It's only £30 a month and I pay monthly. I think you have to be honest about that you want. Taking a good look at the type of people going, if its all leotard up the bum girls then I'd be running a mile.

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do what I did, have a word with your gp surgery, there may be a small community gym that you don't know of. My gp gave me a referral form on account of my weight and arthritis, it only costs me £22.50 a month. Granted it hasn't got a pool, but the equipment and weights is all you need. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.