• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very poorly guinea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea Wiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please can anybody offer me any advice, my guinea pig Lilly has seemed quiet for the last few days although she has been eating. Yesterday I came home and she seemed to be hopping when walking and wouldn't eat very much. She later seemed to get worse to the point she seemed very uncomfortable when sitting like her stomach was hurting. I stayed up cuddling her to keep her warm and she is going to the vets this morning but I would like an idea of what it could be.

Thanks

Please can anybody offer me any advice, my guinea pig Lilly has seemed quiet for the last few days although she has been eating. Yesterday I came home and she seemed to be hopping when walking and wouldn't eat very much. She later seemed to get worse to the point she seemed very uncomfortable when sitting like her stomach was hurting. I stayed up cuddling her to keep her warm and she is going to the vets this morning but I would like an idea of what it could be.

Thanks

aww bless, is she pooping and peeing ok?

Yes she seems to be weeing ok, she was pooing last night but she hasn't this morning but suspect that is because she hasn't really eaten much.

Yes I keep putting the bottle to her and she keeps having bits. Can't see any build ups.

At least she is drinking fluid though,Ahhhhhhhh hope she gets better soon,x,sue

She has been to the vets. The vet has given her antibiotics,(baytril, 0.2mil twice daily). She said she could feel a small lump near her left leg and said this could be an ovarian cyst or could just be a build up of poo in her gut. I have to take her back tommorrow and if there is no improvement they will think about x rays.
It's such a shame she seems to be trying to fight it. Not ready to let her go yet, will do whatever it takes.

oh bless, hope shes ok, how old is she?

Did the vet recommend also giving a probiotic? I would if taking baytril so it balances out the gut, as baytril is harsh, (sorry if you already know that)

Fingers crossed x

She is nearly four. Yes I put some probiotic in her bottle last night so hopefully antibiotics won't upset her tum. Just hope I can tempt her in to eating, she looks so skinny and weak 8... She goes back to vets tommorrow and if no improvements she will have further tests. Fingers crossed for my little babs!

Bless her, I really hope she is ok and you get to the bottom of what is making her poorly.

Sorry to hear your piggie is unwell.

Mobility issues with those symptoms suggest to me there's pain in the abdominal region rather than the legs themselves e.g. bladder inflammation or stone, or a gastric problem - specifically bloat.

If the vet is sure there is no blockage i.e. from bloat then you will need to syringe feed her, it is essential that you do so if she is not eating enough to sustain her physical strength (to hold off obvious weakness) and her weight. Aim for an absolute minimum of 10ml every 3-4 hours, preferably more - I tend to aim for 20-30ml every four hours these days, basically the more you can safely get into the pig the better. I have a factsheet you may find helpful, it has tips on syringe feeding, so if you wish I can email a copy to you; if you drop me an email at [email protected] I can reply with the info.

Sorry to hear your piggie is unwell.

Mobility issues with those symptoms suggest to me there's pain in the abdominal region rather than the legs themselves e.g. bladder inflammation or stone, or a gastric problem - specifically bloat.

If the vet is sure there is no blockage i.e. from bloat then you will need to syringe feed her, it is essential that you do so if she is not eating enough to sustain her physical strength (to hold off obvious weakness) and her weight. Aim for an absolute minimum of 10ml every 3-4 hours, preferably more - I tend to aim for 20-30ml every four hours these days, basically the more you can safely get into the pig the better. I have a factsheet you may find helpful, it has tips on syringe feeding, so if you wish I can email a copy to you; if you drop me an email at [email protected] I can reply with the info.
Thanks, she semed more interested in her food last night and this morning, she was even moving and getting it herself.
The vet did say she could feel a very small lump near her left leg at the back, she said this could be an ovarian cyst or maybe just a build up of food in her gut. Do you know if this could cause pain and therefore difficulty walking?

Great that she is eating a bit more, I would advise weighing her daily to get a more accurate measure of whether she is eating enough.

Pain will affect appetite.

Did the vet say whether the lump was felt more on the surface or actually on palpating the abdomen (i.e. it was felt "internally" )? If it was an ovarian cyst I would expect other symptoms e.g. enlarged nipples, abdominal swelling, hair loss, hormonal behaviour.

But to me, what you describe sounds along the same lines as one of my own pigs earlier this year, which was bloat, the lumps I felt just beneath the surface I could follow as I treated the bloat, they were a backlog of poops e.g. slowdown of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, which to me I can also translate to "a build up of food in the gut".

I would personally be looking for other signs of bloat, treating for this, and then if there is any issue with the regularity of poops I would consider discussing a gut motility drug (metoclopramide) with the vet.

sending you a hug, I have an ill piggie at the moment, its very upsetting, I hope she if feeling better soon, sally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back