• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

very soft poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig David

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys

david has had soft poo since monday. i started to panic tonight because i didnt notice any poo in his cage when i got in from work tonight

i got him out on the floor and some pure runny diareha came out (just pure liquid it stained the carpet) elliot has given him some fibreplex and he went and sat in the corner, literally 10 mins later there is about 8 poos and a wee there. However the poos were clumped together and sloppy.

iv decided to cut out the fresh veg and try and get him to eat hay, however, iv noticed hes not eating his hay as much as he normally does he jsut eating bits of it. (he been eating his veg all week ane behaviour the same, popcorning around)

I'm going to see how he gets on tonight with the poo situation and if it no different in the morning ill get him to a vets tomorrow. I'm going to give him some more fibreplex in the morning - this has obviously done something because he has done a load of poos.

is there any help/advice anyone can give?

You are doing the right thing - take him off any fresh food asap. You can continue to give him fibreplex (which is hay based) and probiotics. That will also help keeping the hydration up. Good that you are having him seen by a vet tomorrow. Weigh him daily. Hopefully, he will feel a bit better within a day and have firm poo again withing a couple of days.

Here is more about diarrhea:
http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

thanks wiebke for your help

iv got some pro c priobiotic am i ok to give him that with fibreplex?

i wish i had taken him off veg sooner in the week I'm a little annoyed at myself but i didnt realise the extent of the problem until tonight.

xx

I'm a horrble pig mum, david has been looking around for his veg and wheeking he never normally wheeks. aaw sorry david xx

They certainly know how to pull on your heart-strings, don't they. Hope David is back to his normal self soon. You're doing all the right things. x

thanks flips lets hope david is better soon. he gone to sleep now, still not ate much hay, he been eating nuggets though and drinking lots of water which they both tend to do when their veg is overdue. i bet he is proper sulking in the morning when craig gets a feed and he doesnt aaw xx

thanks people

david has been pooing today its still softish but a little firmer than yesterday.

still not give him any veg does anyone know how long i should do this for? ps i havent taken him to the vets I'm on stand by though xx

4-5 days.............just to be sure....then gradualy re-introduce in small quantities and ensure only the freshest stuff (beware plastic bag pre-packed salad/greens/spinach...it is notorious in my household for causing squishy poos if it is over 24 hours past it's PURCHASE date). Might be best to start with small pieces of carrot.

A few other suggestions:

Fibreplex contains probioitcs...so you might want to stop the other stuff.......

And don;t be tempted to give him extra pellets unless he is losing weight..you want him to be forced to eat the hay as that will sort out the runny poos. If he doesn;t eat it...then you know there is a a bigger problem (pain, dental) than too much veggies.

Can you get him some extra special hay (with dandelion/marigold for instance) to make it up to him in the interim for the lack of veggies?

I'm sure he will be fine in a few days......

HTH
x

thank you pebble i will take away the probiotics and keep him on fibreplex.

iv done a silly thing tonight and give him a piece of carrot and I'm annoyed at myself now he is just begging though constantly and wheeking.

you know what iv been feeding the pigs spinach and i wonder if its this what has done it. i keep eating spinach myself so i have been giving it to the pigs when i get it.

i will get him some dandelion and marigold hay tomorrow from pets at home if they have it in fingers crossed.

xx

ps iv stuffed david a little toilet roll holder full of hay and he been munching on it hes even dragged it off to his bed, so he showing a bit more interest in the hay again xx

Don;t beat yourself up on the carrot...it's the first thing I "re-introduce" to piggies with squishy poos....so I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine and it'll help his teeth. Just RESIST THE GREENS...

C'mon gal...you can do it...just "RESIST THE GREENS" :)):))

x

haha thanks pebble, ill avoid the greens - poor lad thinks hes being punished lol xx

ill see how he is sunday and slowly bring back the veg. i noticed 2 hardish poos before so thats good.

Have you tried poop soup to help restore the gut flora?

This was by far the best thing i have ever given a pig with soft poops.

My pig, after having too many spring greens was on a hay/dry food diet only & probiotic but after 4 days she still wasn't right & i took her to my vets who suggested Poop Soup.

1-2ml twice a day & no veggies until normal pellets are seen.

Poop soup is made by mushing the pellets of a healthy guinea pig into an equal amount of water & syringing this mix to the pig.

OMG!!

Falls backwards in amazement......

Two hardish pooos......well all i can say is ......

RESULT!

Well done...you are on the road to recovery

Wishing you all happy recovery and happy" poo monitoring .....(LOL

haha nice one. I'm still on poo watch, iv given in with the carrot again, ill be on patrol until we are all better again :) xx

poop soup sounds disgusting lol xx

well guys his poos have gone sloppy again.

gave him some carrot and radish this morning - noticed today his poos have gone soft again not sloppy but mushy.

I'm so annoyed and upset.

is this because i have fed him veg to early or do we think he is ill? his behaviour is just as normal hes currently running around the living room like a kung foo fighting pig!

I'd be tempted to go back to just hay again. I would be thinking about a vet visit if you're concerned though. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back