• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very worried about snuffles, can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiewoo101

New Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I took snuffles, who is three, to the vets last week as she was clearly in pain when she went to the toilet, lots of squeaks eveytime she had a wee :-\. My vet said it was cystitis, gave her an injection and prescribed baytril for seven days. However, the day she finished the course, I noticed blood in the hutch. I took her straight back to the vets, and a different vet examined her, tested her wee, and said there was alot of blood and protein in it. He also said there was alot of swelling in her bladder. He has basically said he thinks she has a tumour in her womb, which would not show up in xray, the only way to be sure would be to operate, and have a look. He said there was another possibility, that it could be a serious infection inside her, which could be cured by having her spayed, but once again the only way to know for sure is to operate and have a look. He said I should know that chances of survival of this sort of operation are slim in small animals, that even the anaesthetic alone can be alot for them to take. He said it would be very expensive, and there would not be a great chance of success of removal and/or survival if it was a tumour. So basically, he has given me some different antibiotics to give her for four days, and then I have to take her back to the vets and I need to decide what to do, if she has shown no improvement. This morning there is loads of blood, much more than yesterday. She is still full of character, and has a big appetite, but is clearly in pain. I feel so horrible not being able to help her. Have any of you had anything similar happen? I just dont know what the future holds for snuffles. Any advice would be really appreciated.
 
D

DebbieR

You poor thing. You must be at your wits end. I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.

If it was me, I would ring Vedra at the CCT to see if she can offer any more advice that maybe the vet hasn't thought of. The number is 07721026401. Text her and she will reply with a good time for you to ring.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on
xx
 

hopperhaven

New Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Points
0
With the squeaking when weeing I would be inclined to think the bladder is the source rather than her womb. She may have a kidney stone that is cutting her and making her bleed. Antibiotics should help but won't cure this. An x-ray would show up a kidney stone and sometimes they can be expressed from the bladder without surgery. If surgery is necessary make sure an experienced vet does it. One that is not hopeful about her chances doesn't sound like the best option to me. Surgery is risky of course, anesthetics alwasy are, but it can be and is often done very successfully whether for kidney stone removal or speying. I have had operations done on piggies quite a bit older than your girl and they have gone on to live happily for years. Speying an older female is actually easier than speying a young one as their ovaries are likely to be larger and easier to find.

I agree call the CCT, they are the ones most likely to be able to help.
 

michellemuffin

New Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
4,721
Reaction score
0
Points
0
did the vet not give you pain relief normally metcam? if not and shes in pain dont forget you can use calpol 0.3 ml (0 to 3 months only though) think one way or another if nothing improves you either risk an op like i did for my Bear when he had to have his leg amputated, or phts,( cant say the words so hope you know what I mean ), as you wont want her suffering I'm sure , its hard decesion but most of us on here have had to make it at some time or another, fingers crossed all goes well,
 

katiewoo101

New Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thank you for your advice, I have spoken to Vedra from cct and she was lovely. I am taking snuffles to see her tomorrow, and it sounds quite hopeful, more likely to be stones than a tumour! Although obviously she needs to have a look at her first. Thank you so much for recommending her, I cant believe how much better I feel after speaking to someone who knows so much about guinea pigs, unlike my vet! I will let you know how I get on, and thanks again for your help guys
 
C

cavykind

You have done the very best thing!

Hope Snuffles is soon on the mend, take care and keep us updated :)
 
D

DebbieR

That's brilliant news. Good luck tomorrow. My thoughts will be with you
 
H

hils78

Hi - Vedra removed a lodged stone that wouldn't pass from one of my pigs girly bits (sorry I'm 28 & still hate the word vagina!) it was a quick op under local anesthetic. I wouldn't trust anyone else with my pigs now. Good luck
 

katiewoo101

New Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Update! I took snuffles to see Vedra at cct yesterday. It was a four hour round trip but well worth it! She has kept her there, and she is going to examine her and do some tests. Haven't heard anything yet, but Vedra definitely seemed to think she could help Snuffs, and felt it was most likely to be stones. I'm so glad I found this website! It has never occured to me before that my vet did not know what he was talking about. I will keep you posted on Snuffles progress, but just wanted to say thank you for everyones kind words and advice. I feel so much better just knowing she is in the right place!
Thanks again,
Kate
x
 
D

DebbieR

I'm so glad Snuffles is in safe hands. Vedra will get to the bottom of it. You must be missing him though. My George is staying with our rodentologist right now and I miss him terribly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top