Vet anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I took my piggie to the vet today to have him checked for his teeth problem. It was the 3rd time we went in 3 weeks time.

The other 2 times he was pretty calm. The 2nd time we went he was nervous only when we got to the vet, right before the examination.

But today..it was something else! From the moment I put him inside his carrying case he didn't stop moving, jumping, shouting, acting like crazy! He acted the same way while we were in the car and he only calmed down when we got in the car again to go home! Even now, he's not being himself... During his floor/bed time he wouldn't let me touch him! Once I touched one hair of his fur he started running away from me in panic. I tried to hold him and calm him down in my hands but he escaped and ran away again...

Why is he bahaving like that? He's always been a very cuddly piggie and loved to be touched and hugged... Could he still be stressed because of going to the vet?

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think he's probably still stressed from going to the vet's. They definitely remember that it's not a place they enjoy! My pig Linney had several vet trips last summer... she had a large abscess on her back lanced and drained twice, and when that failed to clear it up she had it surgically removed under general anasthesia. She is normally the most friendly, docile, and flat out mellow pig... by the time we took her for her post-op follow up, she was chattering her teeth before we even had her out of her carrier. I'm very sure she remembered that unpleasant things had happened in that office before and she was making sure the vet knew what she thought of the place!

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! He is much better today, so he really was stressed because of the vet as it seems! :)

Reaction score
I took my two babies to the vets at the weekend for the first time and they were traumatised. Took them over 30 minutes to relax once they got home, even some celery couldn't snap them out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.