• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vet Visits

Since Having Guinea Pigs, How Many Times You Been To The Vet?

• 1 - 10 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11 - 20 times

• 21 - 30 times

• More than 30

• Not Sure

• Never Been

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score

How Often Do You Take Your Guinea Pigs To The Vet?

Are you one of the lucky ones that manages to avoid those dreaded vets appointments, or are you a frequent visitor there? On average, how many times do you think you end up going? This could be for anything such as check ups, teeth cutting, nail cutting e.t.c

Ellie
TGPF Admin

C

claire

Hiya

I have been really lucky with regards to the vets. Fingers crossed!

My boys only go every now and again for a check up.

Love

Claire ;D

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Thats good. Just wondered if anybody went frequently like to have check ups and things. I know its not a steady pattern of when they are ill so it will be hard to mark on the poll how often they go. Just put a rough guess of like the last year the number of times you have been if any!

Ellie
TGPF Admin

K

Kellie

So far I have only been once and that was to get them a health check.

EDIT - I voted 1-10 as I have been once.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Just changed the poll to make it easier. Sorry, what it was before was quite hard to cast a vote lol!

Ellie
TGPF Admin

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
I've only taken the piggies a couple of times in the past year.. only to have their nails done, Tonic is such a wriggler when it
comes to trimming them.. I can do all the others nails..

In previous years it was still only a few times, when Jin has an accident and then when Tipsy became ill..

Kelly and piggies xx

M

Michele

been a few times due to both my piggies having hysterectormies due to ovarian cysts and one of them was in for 3 weeks. i also go on a yearly basis for a overall check up

L

lukey

never had to use the vets yet... hopefully shouldnt have to for a while... I'm sure the piggies feel the same way

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I had to put over 30 because with my little lot(39) and how long i've had pigs 30 is a good amount but it works out to about 4 to 6 times a year i would say, mainly abcesses and teeth problems ( but i'm hoping the teeth problems are gone now as it was a fault in the breeding) last year was 3 abcesses and a birth difficulty the abcess were caused by a tooth problem and 2 were bits of hay etc that had lodged in their cheek,

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I seem to be forever at the vets! And it's not even close - it's 45mins drive away! I only go there cos the vet came highly recommended for his work with piggies. He certainly seems to know his stuff so I don't mind putting myself out to get them there - anything for the piggies ;D

Babs is prone to cystitis and none of the usual remedies seem to work so when it flares up she has to go in for Cartrophen injections (an anti-inflammatory) which really seem to do the trick. Betty had a lump removed not so long ago and poor Boris now has a kidney problem which didn't respond very well to the first dose of anti-biotics (Septrin) so he's now been put on Baytril to see if that does the trick. It seems there's always something to worry about with my lot! :(

Alex

W

Wheekster

I went for between 11 and 20 times. I've been slave to piggies for the past six years, so it has to be somewhere around that figure I guess ? I now treat mites myself, so that has cut down on the vet bills big time!

G

gothchick1515

I go when Zubs nails get too long I'm worried ill hurt him if I do it myself, and he went for a check up when we first got him. Rudi However lived in the place always unwell :'( x

D

DebbieR

I wouldn't let a vet near my two. If either one is poorly we all get in the car and make a 3 hour round trip to Hastings to our rodentologist. Now if you asked how many times they'd been to the rodentologist....I've lost count :o

G

gothchick1515

Rodentolist that sounds posh hehe :P thats an expert in guineas, hammys etc yeh? never heard of one until now intereseting are they better than vets?

D

DebbieR

Oh yes a rodentologist knows all about rodents especially guinea pigs. Apparently, most vets know next to nothing about guinea pigs. They are classed as exotic pets and they don't have to learn about them. A rodentologist will be able to check teeth (even back ones) and do x rays without anathestic (sp?). Unfortunately, though, they are few and far between. There is a course run by the Cambridge Cavy Trust where you can learn to be one yourself and they do lecturtes and workshops which are well worth doing especially the dental one.
I'm doing the course but am finding it tough going. Life just keeps getting in the way.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Thats great Debbie.

Claire (a member of this forum) and I were wondering about doing that. So its hard then? I am very interested in doing it. I have emailed Gina and enquired about it but I wasn't sure. Apart from it being tough, do you think its a good course to do?

D

DebbieR

It is a good course to do. Its absolutely fascinating as well. I'm only finding it tough because I'm not used to studying (been out of school for 20 years and didn't do any when I was in school). When I really set my mind to it, I find it ok. You still have to have the practical experience though. The course won't be much good without that. It is well worth doing.
I am going to soldier on with it. Even if it takes me years, I will get through it.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Good luck with it.

Where can you get the practical experience from though? - I wouldn't want to do the course and not do that as it would be a bit pointless doing the course!

D

DebbieR

You can join the Cambridge Cavy Trust and volunteer to help out there or maybe you can find your nearest rodentologist and ask them if they can teach you stuff in return for cage cleaning duties etc

Status
Not open for further replies.