• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maisydaisystar

Hi, pumpkinpiggie has given me some advice to use vicks on my sows bums and noses at a last attempt to get them to bond.

However i need to know how much vicks should i use, is it just a tiny amount.

This will be my last attempt before i decide to get a new piggie to keep one company, already have a neutered boar for the other.

thankyou, paula

Use just a tiny bit that is enough for them to smell the same as each other but different than normally.

Kimmie

Sorry just seen this you should of pm me I am about quite a lot and always see when I have messages. Yes just a little so they smell the same :) Good luck hope it works for you let us know how it goes.

Ok will be online during the evening for sure Sunday is the only day my husband is off work and we like to spend the day with the children. I only sneak on if they are driving me nuts ;D good luck hope it works for you bathing them instead of the vicks can work. But its easier to do the vicks as you do not end up soaking wet.

have tried bathing them already not long back and it didn't work.

It bathing and rearranging didn't work then it makes sense that wouldn't. Bathing them makes them smell the same (like vicks) but it also makes them more likely to bond because they're sad/mad/unhappy/something together. So you're going to home another piggy then?

Kimmie

i think i know why the bathing didn't work, you just mentioned bathing them together and i didn't do this because toffee is a real wriggler, and i was worried about doing it together, so that's why that didn't work.

maisydaisystar said:
have tried bathing them already not long back and it didn't work.
Did you do the vicks ? Bathing never worked on mine for long but vicks worked. I sometimes have to stick it on them again but not done it now for a long time.

so friday night i left toffee in the pet carrier for the night, and sat morning she went in the outdoor hutch on her own, left her there for the day, after tea i brought maisy in to run in the hall after applying the vicks, and then brought toffee in and did the same. i watched them really carefully, toffee lunged at maisy almost immediatly. she did it a few times,so i told her off ,after a while they just ran around by themselves, toffee followed maisy about and was sniffing her butt and maisy chattered when she came near, toffee seemed more interested in maisy than the other way around. which i think it's always been like, maisy has always chattered at toffee even though toffee is the bully.they settled down, so after a while i brought star in too, toffee went mad cause she hadn't seen him for quite a while, they both ran around together following each other around lots of vocals from toffee, maisy joined in a little before settling down for a doze.she is not an active piggie.
i then put them all in the hutch for bed and they all gathered together eating hay.seemed fine.
this morning when they crossed paths at the top of the ramp, there was a confrontation, but they both backed down, i tried to keep a close eye on them today but was so busy with the chores, didn't observe for a long periods, saw toffee lunge toward maisy when she was trying to pass her at tea time today though.but then they were sleeping together in the sleep compartment just after.
so can't really tell as yet, will watch carefully over the next few days, and will keep you updated.
thought i might bring them in every day for the next few days for a run about together, and will use the vicks again.
speak soon

Sounds so much like my two sows were mine were worse when one was on heat. They drove me potty for a while then I worked out the pattern and now know when to expect it.

i had thought toffee could of been doing it because she was in heat but it's going on too long.

i have a theory that it might actually be maisy who has never liked toffee, cause even if toffee goes up for a sniff, maisy chatters, so has never let toffee near, maybe toffee is fed up with anti social behavior LOL, will i ever figure them out?? Will keep trying the vicks, maybe it will help maisy tolerate toffee better and then toffee will stop being a little moo.

Is there a cycle of it say it starts up every few weeks? If it sounds like that I would just let them get on with it as they would in the wild. It could be that its a dominance thing and they need to sort out who is the boss piggie. Good luck I am sure you will find a solution. My three are not getting along quite so well at the moment. During the day they are all together at night I put one sow alone she seems happier I think the other two were ganging up on her :'(

Sounds the same as my two Sows and I put a neutered boar in to sort the pair out and now the bully sow lives alone at night. They gang up on her ::)I am to put them out in another hutch soon its bigger fingers crossed we will both have piggies that live happily.

pumpkinpiggie
no not that i have noticed, but will keep a note of how it spans out, sounds familiar,- star turfs toffee out of the sleeping compartment so he is with maisy, and it's usually toffee the bully who sleeps alone in her pigloo. you have the same hutch as me, what i did is put some wood to cover up some of the gap where the ramp comes up (end nearest to the sleeping area ) to give more room, didn't see the point in leaving it like that (stupid design) also worried they would fall down,i put a pigloo in this space and toffee sleeps in there, so she is close to the other two.
I give the piggies extra space by leading a ramp out and have penned off an area in my utility/shed, so they do get more space, I find most of the confrontations happen at the top of the ramp or the bottom when one is trying to pass.

OMG do we own the same trio of piggies they sound like the same bunch ;D yep mine argued about the ramp but also over food. not much room to put a second food bowl in a two story hutch is there. Keep trying we will have them living happily ;) one day

TRIED THE VICKS AGAIN THING THIS MORNING, TOFFE STARTED ATTACKING HER STRAIGHT AWAY AGAIN, EVEN PUT THEM IN THE BATH TOGETHER AND BLOW DRIED THEM DOWN, THEY WERE OK TOGETHER UNTIL I HAD FINISHED TYPICAL. MAISY JUST KEPT CHATTERING AT TOFFEE. HAVE DECIDED TO SEPERATE THEM NOW, TOFFEE IS IN THE OUTSIDE HUTCH ON HER OWN, AND I WILL LOOK FOR ANOTHER PIGGIE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back