Vinegar

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thehappypig

Hi,
I've been introduced to the cleaning wonders of vinegar and now use it to clean everything..work surfaces, floors, the toliet...would it be ok to clean the piggies house? Was thinking of making a dilute solution? Has anyone heard of any problems using it with pigs i.e. too acidic etc? Would love to use it as obviously it's natural and environmentally friendly!

Reaction score
Its fine as long as you wash it off well after it really removes stains etc. Unfortunately what it won't do is kill all the bacteria and other nasties in the cage, for this I recommend Trigene which is a pet safe disinfectant and kills just about every bug known to man! Smells nice too and doesn't get on your chest like Dettol. They sell it on ebay

Reaction score
I'm a trigene fan as well nothing comes close to kill all sorts of nasties including moulds and spores

Deb

Reaction score
I use Trigene too. :). Use it on all the animal pens etc, have been using it for about 2 years now. I got mine off ebay too. I used to use your typical pet shop spray type cleaner but with my many animals it never last very long. The trigene is much more cost effective for me.

Have never tried vinegar but I know people who do use it and they say it works well. I like the thought that the vinegar is environmentally friendly and natural as am trying to buy everything that is that way.

Be interested to hear others views on using vinegar or have experience of it ?

Deb x

Reaction score
I bought my mum in law a book on vinegar last year off amazon, if anyone is interested:

clicketyclick

0916773531.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1064643630_.jpg

it really has loads of uses, mostly for cleaning purposes, but not all of them.. quite interesting really. :)

I have lots of oilburners, and if you leave the water in them for too long they get limescale. Leaving undiluted vinegar in there overnight and it makes it so much easier to clean :)
I have never tried them on cages but I suppose they would help a fair bit if you have standard petshop cages where the plastic bottom bit get stained by urine...

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have cleaned windows with vinegar - not that i regularly clean windows ;D

P

piglover

Undiluted white vinegar is excellent for the scaley corners that develop in their cages. Rinse throroughly after leaving it to soak for a while. I also make up a spray bottle 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 water for wipe round the cage when I clean it out. Also the diluted mix is excellent for spraying on the carpet when someone misses the towel! lol!

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Vinegar is good but i do use trigene for the hutches - seems to keep all bugs at bay!

Id rather not use chemicals but trigene seems the best - we use ecover stuff in the house, but having had a bunny with flystrike many years ago I'm mega careful now.

Alison :)

Reaction score
alisont said:
Vinegar is good but i do use trigene for the hutches - seems to keep all bugs at bay!

Id rather not use chemicals but trigene seems the best - we use ecover stuff in the house, but having had a bunny with flystrike many years ago I'm mega careful now.

Alison :)

I too lost a bunny to fly strike which is why I am fastidius about bugs and flies my fly zappers and trigene together keep all the nasties away

Status
Not open for further replies.