Washable Pee Pads, or other Alternatives?

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

My today's question regards owners who use fleece liners for their guinea pig cages. I'm constantly looking to improve on making our guinea houses more comfortable for our boys and giving ourselves less work! Plus, find options that are more environmentally friendly.

I'm wondering if any of you could share your experience with what types of material/layers do you use under your guinea pigs' fleece liners?

I'm currently using disposable puppy pads but I can easily go through a pack of 100 within 2-3 weeks since I clean/change 2 cages (both 5x2 C&C) twice a day. The boys seem to be peeing quite a lot within just 12 hours, so I'm wondering about replacing the disposable puppy pads with washable ones.

How often would I need to change the washable ones, do they soak up the pee well, or it still stays a bit damp on the surface?

Has anyone found any washable puppy pads that fit great in a 5x2 C&C cage, sized 175cm x 70m (roughly 69x28inch)?

Or maybe someone has other experience with layers that work amazingly under the fleece and need to be changed only every 2-3 days? (for those who can pee quite a bit and in one place) :D I've read from previous threads about uhaul material, but haven't been able to locate it yet in Scotland. No towels though, I find them a smelly deal!

Thank you for your help in advance!

Laura

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I usually buy these puppy training pads for under the fleece and only usually change them once between cage cleans. However, they seem to be out of stock on Amazon at the moment but i'm sure there are other similar items available. They were recommended by someone else on the forum and have lasted really well. two of them cover the whole of a 2 x 5 C&C cage.

Inconti-Pet - Washable, Reusable, Absorbent Puppy/Kitten Training, Incontinence Large Pads 90Cm X 75Cm - Pack Of 3: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I also use them under newspaper in my hay loft.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Perhaps if they are peeing more in certain areas than others then you could try fleece pee pads that way they can be changed daily and you won’t have to clean the whole cage so often.
Do you mean you are doing full cage cleans - new puppy pads and fleece - every day? I’m surprised you are needing to do that. My boys only need a full cage change every 5 days with daily poop picking in their fleece area and removal of wet hay in their hay area

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I use ‘human’ incontinence bed pads which I cut up to the size of my cage (and sewed down the cut edge). I do a big clean once a week but their hay tray is clean out every other day and fleece pee pads cleaned out about 3 times a week or as and when needed. I use puppy pads in the hay tray though I have to cover one of them with fleece as well before I put the hay down as one of the girls eatS the pad!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Our pairs have a waterproof mattress protector sewed between two pieces of fleece (the boys) or under the fleece (the girls - the like to burrow!). I then put bath mats on top and when I take them out, I can get another 1-2 days on the liner before I do a full change.

I use the puppy pads linked above in their hay trays. I try and take out soiled hay and poo daily, but usually it needs a change after 2-3 days max.

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We use pee pads on top in heavy traffic areas Which I change out every 2-3 days, some are proper made, most are just a piece of waterproof mattress protector between two pieces of fleece! We then have the disposable puppy pads under the fleece- we only change these out every full clean which is every 5-6 days with our boys and they are never wet!
Here are the boys modelling their various fleece pads! 8F6BBDE8-0C3C-43F3-8677-F541E9E6CFEE.jpeg

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I usually buy these puppy training pads for under the fleece and only usually change them once between cage cleans. However, they seem to be out of stock on Amazon at the moment but i'm sure there are other similar items available. They were recommended by someone else on the forum and have lasted really well. two of them cover the whole of a 2 x 5 C&C cage.

Inconti-Pet - Washable, Reusable, Absorbent Puppy/Kitten Training, Incontinence Large Pads 90Cm X 75Cm - Pack Of 3: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I also use them under newspaper in my hay loft.
We also use the Inconti-pet washable puppy pads, they are brilliant! I think they sell them on eBay as well as on Amazon...

Lanie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What I use in my cage is puppy pads then a thin layer of megazorb, a layer of newspaper, towel on top then finally my fleece liner. I poop scoop twice a day and clean the cage fully out once a week. I also have 2 boys.

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Perhaps if they are peeing more in certain areas than others then you could try fleece pee pads that way they can be changed daily and you won’t have to clean the whole cage so often.
Do you mean you are doing full cage cleans - new puppy pads and fleece - every day? I’m surprised you are needing to do that. My boys only need a full cage change every 5 days with daily poop picking in their fleece area and removal of wet hay in their hay area
I have a 5x2 cage liner and two 2x1 end pieces which is basically cut fleece pet blanket (one on each end) - I change the puppy pads underneath the end pieces twice a day, yes. The bigger liner and pads under it, more like every 5 days. Sorry for the confusion! Fleece pee pads... can I get them anywhere in 70cm x 40/50cm sizes? I've only seen wee ones, 35x35. But that's a good idea, I'll look into it!

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What I use in my cage is puppy pads then a thin layer of megazorb, a layer of newspaper, towel on top then finally my fleece liner. I poop scoop twice a day and clean the cage fully out once a week. I also have 2 boys.
First time I've heard of megazorb. Does it get messy with the fleece? I used to have half wood shavings for feeding/bathroom area, half fleece for sleeping next to each other but found this to be a nightmare when it comes to washing the fleece as every bit got stuck on it. :D

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have a 5x2 cage liner and two 2x1 end pieces which is basically cut fleece pet blanket (one on each end) - I change the puppy pads underneath the end pieces twice a day, yes. The bigger liner and pads under it, more like every 5 days. Sorry for the confusion! Fleece pee pads... can I get them anywhere in 70cm x 40/50cm sizes? I've only seen wee ones, 35x35. But that's a good idea, I'll look into it!
So is that end area where they hides or hay is? They will pee in their sleep and pee where they eat so that could be a reason why you are needing to change them out so often, but even so twice a day is a lot! Where my piggies pee and sleep, I only need to change out the wet hay every day but the pads underneath only every few days....

you could try the companies mentioned in this thread - they may be able to make you custom pads.
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We also use the Inconti-pet washable puppy pads, they are brilliant! I think they sell them on eBay as well as on Amazon...
Can they endure a lot of washes? Would they last at least a year, washing every week, for example?

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So is that end area where they hides or hay is? They will pee in their sleep and pee where they eat so that could be a reason why you are needing to change them out so often, but even so twice a day is a lot! Where my piggies pee and sleep, I only need to change out the wet hay every day but the pads underneath only every few days....

you could try the companies mentioned in this thread - they may be able to make you custom pads.
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories
Wheek! Amazing, I've already started going through all of them. Thank you for this link.

Lanie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
No megazorb isn’t messy with fleece as I put a layer of newspaper on top before I place my towel and fleece down.

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use ‘human’ incontinence bed pads which I cut up to the size of my cage (and sewed down the cut edge). I do a big clean once a week but their hay tray is clean out every other day and fleece pee pads cleaned out about 3 times a week or as and when needed. I use puppy pads in the hay tray though I have to cover one of them with fleece as well before I put the hay down as one of the girls eatS the pad!
I second this. I got two for £22 on Amazon, then bought two more because they were so good. I fold mine double and they have a soft, almost fleecey feel to them, so I don’t need anything on top of them at all. I wash their wee corner one about twice a week, but their kitchen one only needs washing once every two weeks or so 👍🏻

Scooter Pie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I use old towels under a fleece liner that covers the whole cage floor, and then I have what I call corner cushions which are a layer of waterproof PUL material, a layer or two of “zorb” and topped with fleece. Those go in all the areas where they tend to lay around. I have about 14 of those and switch them out about every other day, and clean the towels and fleece cover about once a week. Poop sweeping a minimum of 2x a day.
Here’s a link to the Zorb material. Zorb 3D Stay Dry Dimple LITE antimicrobial with Silvadur | Etsy

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a GuineaDad fleece liner which is a bit premium. The problem I have is that they have a waterproof bottom. You need to wash and dry every 3 days. Once the filling is saturated, you can't Wick it away by adding towels or megazorb under the fleece due to the built-in waterproof under layer.

Has anyone had experience with vetbed? That seems more luxurious than a standard fleece. But does it let the pee flow through effectively to be absorbed?

Minipiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Another vote for these! I use them under vet bed. Wash them once a week, no smells. We do use a big hay/litter tray too though, which seems to be where most of the wee goes.