Washer/dryer door wont open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi our washer dryer was working ok - did a load of washing today took some out to dry on the radiator left some towels and dressing gown in the dryer - was on an hour and beeped to say it had finished.

When I came to get the clothes out the door will not open.
I have tried several times and put it back on to dry for another 10 mins but still stuck.

Cant see any water in there, clothing looks very dry/crumpled.

Will be really stuck without a washing machine:(

Its an AEG Lavamat 16810 turbo electronic.
We do have it covered on a British Gas plan but with all the bad weather am sure they will be ages as not priority with all the calls they must be having both heating/pipes in the freeze.

Is there anything I can try and do just to get the washing out?

In the ideal world we would have a washing machine and a seperate dryer but only got a tiny kitchen. Our wiring is not great here - looking to get complete re wire done next year so dont want to mess with anything really.

I will try turning it off at the mains for a bit but switch is behind it and not sure I can drag it out on my own:{

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just a thought, but check the filter on the front of the machine to see that it isn't blocked, mine doesn't drain properly if this is the case. If you turn the dial on the front to off and then turn it on as though you are going to set a programme sometimes that also releases the door too. Good luck.

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
maybe you could try pushing/nudging the door in. My washer dryer sometimes doesn't start although the door is closed unless I nudge it in... It's possible that there's a minute false contact and that's why your machine 'thinks' it's unsafe to open.

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My washing machine has a release pully under it next to the filter i found it by accident yesterday

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, have tried unplugging it, cleaning the filter, rocking it and thumping/lightly kicking the door the door whilst trying to open it but no luck:(

Gas as I thought are booked solid this week with call outs with the cold snap so cant get anyone out.

Would be when I'm on a diet so not got that many pairs of jeans that dont fall off:)) going to look right scruffy now all week! Can handwash tops but not jeans. Glad its just a dressing gown and some towels in there not a pile of undies!

I'm betting the door release on our old machine is under the top and dont really want to unscrew that in case I mess it up and it invalidates any cover. Dont drive so cant get to a laundrette as nearest one about 6 miles away:(

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a similar thing recently. It turned out that it wasn't the machine but the bit where the washing machine joins up with the pipework under the sink. It was clogged with hair, soap, etc. It cost a £55 call out fee and was a 5 minute job. Hey ho. rolleyes
Anyway, the machine couldn't quite finish emptying (although looked like all the water had drained out) so the door wouldn't unlock. I also tried the filter and did lots of nudging/ banging on the machine.

HTH. :)

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine does this. Hubby manages to open it by sticking a wooden spoon in the door and forcing it open. Part of the latch is broken so the spring opener doesn't work so well. He stuck a 1p piece in it and that seems to work.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a similar thing recently. It turned out that it wasn't the machine but the bit where the washing machine joins up with the pipework under the sink. It was clogged with hair, soap, etc. It cost a £55 call out fee and was a 5 minute job. Hey ho. rolleyes
Anyway, the machine couldn't quite finish emptying (although looked like all the water had drained out) so the door wouldn't unlock. I also tried the filter and did lots of nudging/ banging on the machine.

HTH. :)

Hmmmm I do wonder if its that - I have cleaned the filter but the engineer always mumbles when he spots all the eco products we use, I do use that washing machine cleaner and have run it empty from time to time on a hot cycle to help clean it. At least its on the British Gas kitchen appliance plan cover scheme so not a massive call out fee but bet its something basic:red

Status
Not open for further replies.