• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Water changing aquariums when you’re not feeling 100%....

Piggies&buns

Staff member
Reaction score
.....results in water all over the floor and soggy feet....! Must remember to put the end of the tank siphon INSIDE the bucket ... now to dry out the carpet...(This isn’t the first time I’ve done this but I know today’s incident was because I’m full of cold and my head is cotton wool.

This is one of them, the lovely Sid, channeling my husband in his absence and doing his best ‘I’m not amused’ face

Attachments

• 5A71BEA7-301E-40D7-9C3F-E523A0D13849.jpeg
    5A71BEA7-301E-40D7-9C3F-E523A0D13849.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 14
You’re not the only one to miss the bucket @Piggies&buns! Did it at the weekend myself and had a fish poo shower after my human one just before! Blooming brain!
Sid’s gorgeous! Miss fighters, they’ve got such personalities! 😁
Hope you’ve managed to dry the carpet! :))

It’s so easily done! Carpet is now recovering nicely! Hopefully by the time hubby gets home, he won’t notice!
Sid is such a character! Feeds from my hand - in fact he does it better than my piggies do!
I also have a larger community tank - two dwarf gourami, six corydora, nine cherry barbs and three harlequin rasbora (was six but they are now ageing and I’m starting to lose them)
What are your fish?

How annoying, I hope the carpet doesn't take too long to dry. I love fish, we have a pond, I'd love an aquarium in doors but it's the cleaning out that puts me off. Wishing you a very speedy recovery from that cold.

How annoying, I hope the carpet doesn't take too long to dry. I love fish, we have a pond, I'd love an aquarium in doors but it's the cleaning out that puts me off. Wishing you a very speedy recovery from that cold.

I don’t mind cleaning out Sid’s tank, I happily put my hand in there and deal with plants etc, but I cannot put my hand in the big tank. I do everything with long handled tools. It’s because I can’t keep an eye on all of them at once and if one of them was to touch my hand I’d completely freak out!

And thank you. I don’t often catch bugs from the kids but my darling daughter decided to share this cold. I haven’t had a cold in about 18 months so I was overdue!

Yep you hear the whoosh then feel it on your foot, easily done! My 30g community tropical is in need of new residents really! Lost the last of my elderly babies in the last year like my gorgeous Goby (tank’s been running nearly 12yrs) so have a small gang of Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish and a couple of Dwarf Neon boys, one lonely Sterbai Corydora and two Otos, as well my last six (maybe 5 looking at one today!) purple apple snails! It’s mainly plants these days but had a lot going on! New fishies next year I hope!
8E21D66B-8C3B-42B4-A2D2-F61E73F013D6.jpeg
And still got my lovely, rather odd looking adopted goldfish Arnie in the other 30g! No third tank anymore, realised I needed a rest but I’m silly for saying yes when people need homes for beasts! Still got two tanks in the cupboard for fish emergencies!:doh:
Oh no, I’m straight in there with my hands, my 10yr old niece does the same as always grown up with me and my tanks! Can handfeed Arnie! 😁
I Had female Bettas but never a male, how old is Sid? Sad they don’t live very long bless them, such great fish :) x

And the cleaning of tanks isn’t too bad really @piggieminder, having three like I did was a killer on the back but 20-25% water once a week isn’t too bad really! Depends on your back though, can tell I’ve kept them all for years! Used to do all three in a day, had to split it up throughout the week when my seizures got bad as blooming killed me! :fog:

Your tank looks lovely! It’s always nice to get new residents!
It’s strange that I can put my hands in sid’s tank but not the community! Hopefully I’ll get over it one day! I have my community tank running for two and a half years. I’d love to have one very large tank, a 250 litre or so in an oak cabinet .... one day, maybe!
I’ve had sid just three months, don’t know how old he actually is though.

Some of my goldfish in the pond suck my fingers when I'm picking leaves off the top, they are so tame it's hard to believe they've only been here since the spring. They will swim up and take food from my fingers.

Oh gosh I remember learning how to water change and ending up with a mouthful of fish water too :lol!: We are fairly lucky in a way. We have a far too powerful external filter and the lid/light on our tank broke. The replacement doesn't cover the top so we get a fair amount of evaporation and just top up with clean water every week or more often in warmer times (mid summer or when the heatings on) when the water level goes down quicker. Then we just do a big clean out every now and then to stop it all collecting in the sand.

Back