Water - Rabbits Prefer Bowls to Bottles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinakit

Over the years, when I have had House Bunnies, I have noticed that they have preferred to drink from the cat/dog water bowls in my home rather than use the bottle.

I have recently moved my outdoor rabbits indoors, and have given them a choice in their indoor cage, ie they have both a bottle and a water bowl. They use the bowl and totally ignore the bottle, even though they were brought up outdoors with only a bottle.

Of course water in a bowl needs frequent changing, but that is what my buns will have from now on.

D

Darky

It's the same with my rat. He much prefers to drink out of a regularly cleaned water dish, than a bottle.

It's easier, really, with pets that prefer it because bottles have a tendancy to get bad as they get older.

C

chinakit

I also wonr if som of th tooth problms in rabbits ar caus by yars of chwing on watr bottls? I am not saying this IS th caus, I just wonr.

Also som ownrs [colorr](not mmbrs of forums lik this) us watr bottls as an xcus not to provi frsh watr vry ay.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

maxthepig

I think it often depends what they are used to.

Ive had lots of temporary buns, and some of the ones who came from homes where they were used to a bottle refused to drink out of a bowl, and when given a bottle drank as though I'd been depriving them!

(My rabbit Audrey always drinks out the cats bowl tho...and eats her food :o)

I used to prefer bowls, but have become a bit of a bottle convert now- less mess and takes up less space, but i'd usually use both in the summer.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
My mums house rabbit won't drink from water bottle anymore. He only likes it in a bowl now :D

J

Jenni75

I tried Meg on a bowl of water when she was a baby (4 weeks old) but was so worried about her falling in and drowning herself I changed it for a mouse water bottle and she drank out of that like she was dehydrated or something. Now she'll only drink out of water bottles.

How are people keeping their rabbits warm for winter? Meg lives outside so I've just ordered her a log cabin but any other ideas?

Reaction score
I tried a heat pad with mine but they just kicked it out! I found that mine dot mind the cold as I try and put loads of bedding in put they just push it out.

J

Jenni75

Meg is quite small and this is her first winter outside so a bit worried, but will try stuffing the hutch with more hay, thanks Mary!

I'm also trying her on shredded paper as soon as I receive her log cabin, see her reaction to that.

I put my hot water bottle with a towel wrapped around it in the hutch for my gp last year.........spoilt piggie!

M

maxthepig

you dont need to worry about rabbits and the cold as much as pigs, they're much better equipped for it with a thick winter coat.

I agree, use lots of hay for bedding and cover the hutch at night with carpet/taurpalin etc to stop draughts getting in. some people use insulation inside too.

Be careful about water bowls freezing up and do not bring them into the house during winter, as the fluctuations in temperature can cause them to lose their winter coats (or you can, if you keep a window open and no heating on.)

J

Jenni75

Well, she has a lovely mane but she doesn't seem to be getting that thick coated. But I suppose its not that cold yet. I think the gp's have more hair than she does!

I'm going to get one of the bottle covers to stop them from freezing - see if that works. Will get a cover to go over the top, think my mum might have something suitable.

Thanks for this!

B

BEATRICE

I provide extra bedding in the hutches and living areas. I also put a couple of used turn out rugs on the tops of each hutch and cover those with tarapaulins to insulate the hutches. I use thermal socks around the water bottles, two on each one and I havent had any trouble with them freezing solid. ::)

Reaction score
I've just spent a fortune on the new type bottles that fill from the top and have a different spout that prevents leaking as much, my vets have just approved them and are ordering some for the hospital, I found that any dirt or bits lay on the bottom where they cannot be drank as it is lower then the spout, and they get flushed out, but for the night top up they are so easy and dont freeze either, the only bowl ever used for my piggys when necessary (for milk and bread etc) I use a saucer. but all my pigs ahev alwasy used bottles when left with a bowl in the runs which is brick built and bottles cannot be hooked on they ignore it and wait for me to hold the bottles for them, will have to sort out a way before next spring though

C

chinakit

I have also tried using bowls for the guineas, but they are so much more messy than my rabbits, and seem to think the bowls are toilets >:( :-[ ? :o

L

luvpigs

WOW Jayne... thanks for this idea . I will try my rabbits on the water bowls rather than the bottles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.