• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ways to be more environmentally friendly?

Eva121

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

So , because of the dire state of our Earth I have been trying to be more environmentally friendly. Going vegan, diminishing my use of one use plastics, etc. I was wondering how I could make my caring for the guinea pigs more environmentally friendly. I use fleece, and clean it twice a week. A lot of water is used of course. Is there any recycled bedding I should use? Is there any ways you have made your guinea pigs care more environmentally friendly?

Repurposing cardboard boxes into houses and paper bags into toys might be a good start. I reuse newspaper to line their litter tray, but they are on mainly fleece.
No idea on the environmental impact of various bedding, so hopefully an ecowarrior will come along and inform us.

You might find this recent thread helpful :)

Cutting Down on Piggy Related Plastic Usage

It’s great to see lots of other people being more mindful, though it can be difficult! I also use fleece but only need to wash it once a week as we have a lot of hay trays they do most their business in. In those I use news paper, a natural pine litter and some hay on top and when I empty it it all goes into proper biodegrable bags I got from amazon :)

Thanks for the thread, its great! Recently I have been seeing more biodegradable products, such as biodegradable trash bags so I have started using those as well. I have tried to use litter trays for my guinea pigs as well but they dont seem to care much for it. I also tried having a hay tray for the pigs but I havent been able to find one short and big enough. Plus Igby loves doing zoomies through the fresh hay. :/
I have two different fleeces for the pigs so recently I try to wash both at the same time, once a week; but sometimes I forget to wash them together :doh:

Hello!
I’m vegan too, 😃 and have been for about 8 years!
I wouldn’t say I’m fanatic at reducing waste but I do try my best. I use recycled paper cat litter as bedding on one side of my cage. The other side is usually fleece or sometimes if I haven’t got any washed I’ll do a whole side of hay.. which they love!
I love going to Op/charity shops to find unique little bowls for their pellets and also sometimes find nice material things for them to sleep on.
I live on a farm so if I’m not being lazy I go out and Chuck all the bedding (paper and hay) onto the muck heap trying to reduce plastic bags going to landfill.

Mine are currently on shavings, but there's a limit as to how much of this you can put onto the compost heap before it throws a wobbly at you, and our council aren't keen on pet waste (even veggie ones like guineas...) in the green bins. Is there any bedding which is more easily compostable than shavings?

The hay is obviously compost-friendly, what they leave of it...

Back