• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

We have a new addition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

idlewildgirl

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well the curse of P@H adoption centre strikes again! We went in yesterday for pig nuggets and came out with a Rabbit! his name is Alfie and he is a netherland dwarf, the problem is I have to admit I am not too up to date on good rabbit care (I know, its bad :{) so I have a few questions, I have had rabbits when I was a kid and so has the OH but my knowledge is pretty basic!

1) Would neutering be recommended?
2) Will P@H have vaccinated him or is that something we would have to arrange?
3) How easy are they to toilet train?

He is currently in a large indoor cage and once he settles in will have the free run of the house, one thing that has worried me is when holding him he has not been to the toilet once! Are they different to pigs in that way and will wait until they are back in the cage?

Also any tips greatly appreciated! ( and I promise I will never get a pet on impulse again!)

Last edited:
I think P@H would of told you if they'd had him vaccinated. It's worth a trip to the vets anyway just to make sure he doesn't have any dental problems.

Bunnies will just go in one corner so can be really easy to litter train, I just let mine find their corner then put some of the dirty bedding into a litter tray on top of clean so they know it's theirs, they soon get the idea. My bunny Bert has the run of the garden through the day and still comes back to do his business in his hutch.

If you're not thinking of getting him a friend then he doesn't have to be castrated, but they can get a bit smelly and want to mark everywhere if they're not done.

I would definately consider getting him a wife, I love to see bunnies all snuggled up together.

Good luck.

I wouldn't castrate him if he isn't going to be with a doe. I don't believe in castrating for no reason.

I would check to see whether he has been vaccinated - myxomatosis

Rabbits are much cleaner than guinea pigs (who like to poo everywhere) whereas rabbits tend to just go in a certain corner.

1) Would neutering be recommended? yes... as they can be come territoral and a bit nasty at times, plus they will spray even on you!
Q2) Will P@H have vaccinated him or is that something we would have to arrange? no they wouldnt, they spend as less as poss on their animals and even less on re-homing ones.
3) How easy are they to toilet train? find which corner they are weeing in and add a litter tray, mine started to use there wicker bedrolleyes
He is currently in a large indoor cage and once he settles in will have the free run of the house, one thing that has worried me is when holding him he has not been to the toilet once! Are they different to pigs in that way and will wait until they are back in the cage?
they do tend to wait until they are in there tray but if they were very desprate to go then i think that they would...

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to pics!

For best information and support, you may want to join the sister forum to this one: it's called Rabbits United.

Thanks everyone, he was in the adoption as he was brought in with another bunny who died of snuffles and then the family didn't want him back :( He has been in quarantine for 2 months and has had no sign of any resporatory issues but I think we will take him to the vets for a full MOT soon to check him out. He's a lovely snuggly boy so I do think he would appreciate a wife if we get him done :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't castrate him if he isn't going to be with a doe. I don't believe in castrating for no reason.

I would check to see whether he has been vaccinated - myxomatosis

Rabbits are much cleaner than guinea pigs (who like to poo everywhere) whereas rabbits tend to just go in a certain corner.

its always best to keep them in pairs they hate been on there own, i have 4 rabbits 2 boys and 2 girls, i would never dream of keeping them alone, if they didnt get on with other rabbits they could live side by side...

before my boy was done he would spray in your face all the time and it wasnt very nice, now he is done he doesnt do that and is sooo much calmer, it cost me £40 to get him done. also once he is done at least he can have a female even if its further down the line, at least he will not need a GA when he is older...

i dont think he would have had his jabs as why would someone spend on a rabbit and then stick them in pets at home? dont make sense for someone really loving the pets, you would fine a rescue.

Thanks everyone, he was in the adoption as he was brought in with another bunny who died of snuffles and then the family didn't want him back :( He has been in quarantine for 2 months and has had no sign of any resporatory issues but I think we will take him to the vets for a full MOT soon to check him out. He's a lovely snuggly boy so I do think he would appreciate a wife if we get him done :)

i kept my female tara on her own for 4yrs as she was nippy and groweling all the time and i thought there is know way she would take to another rabbit been the way she was, i convinced myself she was happy, but rabbitfan came to see me 4 mths ago and brought dylan and they bonded instantly, they cuddle up with each other lick each others head they are really so inlove with each other they are side by side all the time..

i have to say she is a diff bunny now and i now understand she WASNT happy but now i see a sparkel in her eyes that were not there before..

the doe doesnt need spaying if she is to be paired up with a neutered buck! tara isnt but dylan is, and he never tries to hump her now, just for the first 2 days when meeting..

they say do it for health reason in the doe, but advice comflicts, lots of rescues say its important have the doe done but some rescues say its not..

i have to say tara doesnt bite, growel, anymore..

so spaying the doe is up to you really. x

I also think he will be lonely too if his friend died!

Last edited:
oh, and here is his (rather scared looking) picture!

34f4404f.jpg

He is beautiful. Well done on taking him in.

AWWWWWWWWWWW! I must admit I'm generally not a rabbit-y person but Alfie is so handsome. I want to cuddle him! He's very lucky he has you. Congratulations on adopting him :(|)

Thanks everyone, he is a lovely boy :)

Have just joined the rabbit forum so hopefully will be up to scratch in no time!

Awww he is very cute! Well done for joining the other forum :)

I would also reccommend Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund. They produce a magazine (quarterly I think) which really keeps us up to date on all the latest rabbit info!

Great that your are thinking about getting him a wife.....the boy girl pairing is the best and it is so nice to see them happy :) I would reccommend getting him neutered when young - this will also mean his behaviour is a lot better. If you get a female it is best to her spayed to prevent cancers.

Holding on is normal for bunnies. We used to have a bunny called Maisie that was in a hutch during the day in good weather and in the kitchen at night....she would not pee all day and would do the most enourmous pees in the middle of the kitchen floow when she was a baby. Also my current rabbit Flopsy (really my mum's as I no longer live at home) was accidently shut out of the kitchen last week when my mum left for work and was waiting at the kitchen door when my mum got home 8 hours later....went straight to her litter tray she hadn't pooped or pee'd anywhere all day! I don't think you should have any problem litter training Alfie :)

A full MOT at the vets and his jags would be best for him P@H will not have done this.

Hope all goes well and he can get a new friend soon :) x

i kept my female tara on her own for 4yrs as she was nippy and groweling all the time and i thought there is know way she would take to another rabbit been the way she was, i convinced myself she was happy, but rabbitfan came to see me 4 mths ago and brought dylan and they bonded instantly, they cuddle up with each other lick each others head they are really so inlove with each other they are side by side all the time..

i have to say she is a diff bunny now and i now understand she WASNT happy but now i see a sparkel in her eyes that were not there before..

the doe doesnt need spaying if she is to be paired up with a neutered buck! tara isnt but dylan is, and he never tries to hump her now, just for the first 2 days when meeting..

they say do it for health reason in the doe, but advice comflicts, lots of rescues say its important have the doe done but some rescues say its not..

i have to say tara doesnt bite, growel, anymore..

so spaying the doe is up to you really. x

I also think he will be lonely too if his friend died!

Does SHOULD be spayed as if they are left, they have an 85% change of getting ovarian cancer :(

1) Would neutering be recommended?
Absolutely, regardless of sex.

2) Will P@H have vaccinated him or is that something we would have to arrange?
Likely you'd have to arrange that, ask at p@h for the records. If they haven't been done, find a rabbit-savvy vet (likely the one that sees your guinea pigs) and get them to do VHD and Myxo vaccines every 6 months to a year depending on the risk level of the area you live in.

3) How easy are they to toilet train? Extremely - just use a different substrate in the litter box and put the box in the corner that he/she toilets in the most. Mine are all in huge self-built cages that have vinyl flooring (wipe-clean!) and a cat litter tray filled with Carefresh. If you can't get Carefresh, go for "Beauticat" - a wood-based litter pellet. NEVER use clumping clay-based litters as bunnies can eat these, they swell up in their tummies and can cause GI stasis.

I have 5 bunnies and my first was an "impulse" so I know exactly how you feel! :D

the doe doesnt need spaying if she is to be paired up with a neutered buck!

Sorry but I respectfully disagree! :) Doe bunnies have a very high chance of contracting uterine cancer if they're over the age of 2 so it's far better to spay them.

Last edited:
Awww I keep seeing all these beautiful bunnies everywhere (I so want one :-( )
Your bunny is absolutely gorgeous x

x)He's gorgeous, congrats on your new addition!

I'd definitely recommend having him neutered, especially if you want to pair him with a doe at some point.

One tip which I'm sure you'll get from RU is rabbits barely need any pellets at all, and most of his diet should be hay. I know of some people who only feed pellets as a treat once every few days. This should help with any potential dental problems xx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back