• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

We have a new family member.

Aww hammys are great. :yahoo: many congratulations on the new addition.

Aww I love hamsters. I have 3.

A syrian, a roborovski and a hybrid dwarf, all boys.

I love hamster set ups. They do well with deep paper substrate (I use fitch) and large houses with no bottom so that they can dig tunnels.

They need a large wheel so their spines dont arch.

Also floor space is very important, more so than levels.

My cages are 100 x 50cm.

Good luck with Kevin. Looking forward to pics. Here is Tarak's set up

2eaph5h.jpg

qxnnro.jpg

When I had Frankie who was a Dwarf Russian Winter White Sapphire he preferred shredded paper as a substrate and he was very easily potty trained in one of the small triangular potties with a high back. I used paper cat litter in there and cleaned it out every day.

Well it didn't take long, junior discovered that if he pushes all his bedding to one end of his house and arches his back, he can pop the lid off the nesting box (see photo) Hogg jnr woke up to find Keith having a field day scurrying along the top shelf of the racking in his bedroom, unable to get anywhere else. Cue a heavy duty elastic band to secure the lid when he's on his own. :))

My Bob McBob (Girl hammy) found that she could escape:gp: and did so frequently just so she could get to where her food was stored, fill up her cheek pouches and then promptly fall asleep next to the food tin:zzz: This was of course until I padlocked both doors with to make sure she didn't escape again!

Last edited:
Welcome to your fab new forever home Keith!

Aww I can't wait to see pictures of the little houdini. I wish pet shops would sell suitable cages for hamsters. It's the same as the guinea pig scenario's. The alaska off zooplus is a good cage it's 80cm and the trixie 28cm wheel is a perfect size for Syrians.

Well it didn't take long, junior discovered that if he pushes all his bedding to one end of his house and arches his back, he can pop the lid off the nesting box (see photo) Hogg jnr woke up to find Keith having a field day scurrying along the top shelf of the racking in his bedroom, unable to get anywhere else. Cue a heavy duty elastic band to secure the lid when he's on his own. :))
Sounds like my old gorgeous lad Hercules! Those little back and arm muscles work well to carry out an escape!
Keith is a brilliant name :) hope he's settling in well even though a bit of a naughty chap!

Congratulations on your new addition- he sounds as if he’s going to be a real character.
I had Syrian hamsters for many years - they are great pets.
Looking forward to the pictures

Bless him, always amazes me how easy they escape. One of my older hamsters Brian (Or Dangerous Brian as he came to be known) would squeeze out under the metal top with as much bedding as possible, climb down off the chest of drawers, make his way across the bedroom and build a nest under my desk. Keep in mind, this little nightmare was 4 years old, deaf and completely blind!

Keith sounds like he's going to be quite a character.

Keith is a great name for a hamster! My little Syrian was an action hamster so I called him Bodie (as in Bodie and Doyle!) - he was such an escape artist he also had to be padlocked in! The worst escape was when I had to briefly move back into the family home (which at that time had two cats who would have loved to have met him) - he got out of his cage in the early hours of the morning and I was alerted to this as I woke up with a hamster scuttling across my face... By the time I'd properly woken up and realised what had happened he'd disappeared..I was scrabbling about on my hands and knees for hours til I found him. He also went down the stairs once in his exercise ball...told my Mum not to open the door which is of course what she did, he zoomed straight past her through the door, across the landing and down..the ball broke and I expected to find a dead or injured little Bodie at the bottom of the stairs but he was fine thank goodness after his misadventure!

Back