• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight Loss - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fudge has lost 90g since Jan 13th when I last weighed him - that doesn't sound right, does it?

I haven't noticed his food intake going down at all, still seems to eat everything offered. He's moved out to the shed but if he wasn't eating due to the change surely I'd notice food left.

He still drinks a lot

I really don't think our vet is very good with pigs, am off to post thread re pig vet in Lancs.

Very worried, any advice welcome :(

I would have him wormed with Panacur and then if that didn't work checked for stones. Phone Vedra for doses. 07721 026401 to text/phone your message. :)

Thanks, where do I get panacur from, do I need to get it from the vets?

I do have some ivomec, is that the same?

If your piggy is losing weight steadily and is also drinking a lot,have him checked for diabetis.which is treatable.Sadly weight loss combined with excess drinking could also be indicative of chronic renal failure which at the moment has no cure.However pigs can live for quite a while with this condition and it is not painful.It is rare for guinea pigs to get worms,in fact they would have to have access to grass that has been fouled by dogs,cats or foxes to pick up worm eggs.I have been keeping piggies for 20 years and have never seen one with worms.I do not believe in giving routine medication,especially Ivermectin because this can build up a resistance.and make the drugs inefective.I never use Panicur and only use Ivermectin if a piggy has mites that are resistant to shampoos and oils.Most of my pigs live to 7 or 8 years old. Mary

guineapigvet said:
I do not believe in giving routine medication,especially Ivermectin because this can build up a resistance.and make the drugs inefective.I never use Panicur and only use Ivermectin if a piggy has mites that are resistant to shampoos and oils.Most of my pigs live to 7 or 8 years old. Mary

I've never gone along with the administration of Ivermectin routinely despite it being recommended by the CCT, I think they also push Panacur?
I try and care for my pets holistically and avoid prescription drugs where possible. I've just been to see a lovely vet that uses homeopathy, I think more and more people will consider gentler complementary therapies as time passes.

Barbara

Panacur and Ivermectin products are available from your vet. This happened to a friends piggy and as a last ditch attempt and after the vets ideas were exhausted he decided to try worming, and there were worms :P that pig has now put on all its weight. There wasn't the drinking issue though. If you have a test done for diabetes leave off any foods containing colourings as they will present as positive for diabetes ::)

If there was no other obvious cause, I'd consider worming, but I'd keep in mind that worming solout ions contain quite powerful drugs, so wouldn't give to a guinea pig that was "sick."

I give a natural wormer to mine and never had a problem that could be attributed to internal parasites.
I personally think we (generalising) give our animals too many "preventative" treatments :-\
Just my thoughts.

Barbara

:) I wasn't suggesting as a regular treatment on a preventative basis ( :-\ where did that come from!) but I think its a possibility that may need exploring.

What are the natural wormers Barbara? I've read about a plant that tort owners give (can't remember it now) I've heard of two cases of worms in the last 3 months, one was discovered when guinea went in for an op.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back