• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Weird Guinea pig behaviour

Izzie913

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

My guinea pigs (Winter and Pickles) have recently been acting weirdly towards each other. A few months ago, their fight for dominance ended and I believe it was Winter who won this fight. However, about a month and a bit on now Pickles has been jumping on Winter and sniffing his bum. We researched this on the internet and this was said to be the behaviour between a male and female piggy, so we went to get their genders double-checked at the vets, and it was confirmed they were both males. However, this behaviour is still ongoing and at times Winter will allow Pickles to do this to him, and at other times he will begin squealing. I was wondering what this might mean and if anyone has had any experience with this.

Thank you in advance!

Dominance behaviours such as mounting don’t stop once - they will continue to reinforce their dominance and relationship throughout their lives, so you will always see it.
There may have been a change of leadership, but as long as both are happy (the squealing may well just be submission squealing which is the piggy way of saying that they accept their position as submissive) and accept their positions then don’t worry.
When my two first came to me they both displayed dominance behaviours - dexter mounted, and popcorn rumbled but never the other way round. Now they’ve got older, dex does not mount at all anymore and instead popcorn does nothing but mount and rumble despite never mounting as a youngster.

My two boars Bill and Ted were pretty evenly matched and we never really knew who was the “top” pig. Bill would often mount Ted or sniff his bum. Ted never mind at all, it’s just normal dominance behaviour. Ted would take food out of Bill’s mouth and run off with it which in turn Bill never minded. Both boys liked to strut their stuff and rumble around. They had the very occasional stand off with a bit of teeth rattling, but it never came to anything, again just normal behaviour from boars
Take what you read on Internet sites as they can be an absolute load of rubbish 😄

Back