• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Weird noises coming from piggies stomach :s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

One of my girls has started having strange noises comming from what I assume is her stomach! Its the kind of sound we might get if we feel hungry or our tummys feel a bit poorly.... But my pig is eating/pooping fine. The only thing I have noticed is she is a little more lazy then usual and a bit less interested in playing. I know it probably sounds really strange but has anyone else had this before with their piggies? :...

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
If she is generally well in herself i wouldnt worry too much. There should always be gut sounds when you listen to a guinea pigs abdomen. Can you hear it from far away are you when you can hear it?

If your worried maybe get a vet to give her a little health check. Might put your mind at ease?

x.

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
I have a sow that has a gurgly belly and I have noticed that it seems to happen when she has eaten brocolli, this gives my others a bit of wind too :red:)). They all still seem healthy and poop normally.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
It happens often with our pigs and has for the entire time we've had them. I think it's just wind maybe when the are hungery like us, as it sounds like a little tummy rumble...

econerd

Junior Guinea Pig
yeah ive got a pig that has tummy rumbles, its so funny to hear. she farts quite a bit too. but then i guess you would if you ate vegis all the time. its a natural thing, fermenting veg gives off quite a bit of gas, grass i know does, cows are terrible for wind. I'm sure shes fine, but if your worried take her for a check up.

EmilyXx

guinea pig stomach noises

Hello,

I was just wondering whether there was anything wrong with my 5 year old male guinea. We believe that he has recently lost his hearing and now he is constantly laying to his side with these stomach noises also. I have just tried to feel his stomach area but it seems to be quite hard and he will not let me touch it. Apart from that all is fine. Please could someone give me some more information as to what they think is going on and what I should do?

Thanks,

Emily.

Last edited:

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Hello,

I was just wondering whether there was anything wrong with my 5 year old male guinea. We believe that he has recently lost his hearing and now he is constantly laying to his side with these stomach noises also. I have just tried to feel his stomach area but it seems to be quite hard and he will not let me touch it. Apart from that all is fine. Please could someone give me some more information as to what they think is going on and what I should do?

Thanks,

Emily.
He could have bloat - this is a potentially fatal condition and he needs to see a vet ASAP - you may find this link on how to contact a vet outside of normal opening times useful http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90842

*Nibbles&Nugget*

Adult Guinea Pig
Hello,

Thanks,

Emily.
If you could open a new thread for your piggy you would get help faster. I would guess bloat but I am by no means an expert. Please take your piggy to a vet if only to put your mind at rest. Piggies go downhill very quickly.

Amy
x

He needs a good cavy savvy vet - he needs gut stimulants (cisapride or metoclopromide and zan-tac) and pain meds (tramadol is better than metcam in this type of case if your vet will prescribe it)

. He will need syringe feeding to keep food going through his system and his guts moving but NO veggies. He will need a gentle tummy rub to disperse the gas (regular car trips are good or a massage pillow - think human babaies with colic/wind).

Infacol MAY be helpful but this will depend upon the type of gut condition he has as in some cases it can actually cause more harm than good because of it;s mechanism of action in coalescing the gas bubbles into one big one - this could cause gut torsion which is inoperable and fatal.

Classic "Bloat" is normally a sudden fermentation reaction to eating something that disagrees with them. In older piggies "bloat" is a result of gas production within the intestines that is more likely to be a complicating condition of loss of gut motility by ANOther cause.

Vet check needed as it sounds like he has reduced food intake over a number of days and the bloat is merely the first sign that something else is wrong.

HTH
x

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
How would this be treated if it was bloat? As he is 5 years old therefore is at high risk?
It can be treated with gut motility drugs and supportive care if required.

Please do not hesitate in contacting a vet - you need to speak to one now and describe his symptoms. It's perfectly treatable if caught early - my own pig has had 2 bouts of this recently and is now absolutely fine.

JayneG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Definitely to the vet. If it is bloat Pebble is spot on and helped me when my Toffee had bloat. He wouldn't be here now if it weren't for that advice!

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Hi all,

One of my girls has started having strange noises comming from what I assume is her stomach! Its the kind of sound we might get if we feel hungry or our tummys feel a bit poorly.... But my pig is eating/pooping fine. The only thing I have noticed is she is a little more lazy then usual and a bit less interested in playing. I know it probably sounds really strange but has anyone else had this before with their piggies? :...
Now that Emily has opened her own thread, time to get this one back on track.

LJ - Has your female with the odd noises been any where near a male in the past couple of months? Even accidentally?

If the sounds are just down to gurgly guts I would stop giving gassy veg such as cabbage/kale/broccoli, ensure a good amount of hay is being eaten. If your pig deteriorates in any way, stops eating or has changes in her poops then a vet visit is needed quickly - the advice given to Emily will apply to your girlie.

Suzy x

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Now that Emily has opened her own thread, time to get this one back on track.

LJ - Has your female with the odd noises been any where near a male in the past couple of months? Even accidentally?

If the sounds are just down to gurgly guts I would stop giving gassy veg such as cabbage/kale/broccoli, ensure a good amount of hay is being eaten. If your pig deteriorates in any way, stops eating or has changes in her poops then a vet visit is needed quickly - the advice given to Emily will apply to your girlie.

Suzy x
This was two years ago ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.