• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

wet bum

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dawn

hi i have 6 week old males which I'm got last thursday well i went to hold them this morning and they are quite long haired and herbert has a wet bum all his fur is wet what do i do about this ? regards dawn

With a long haired guinea pig I usually cut their hair shorter around their bottom as it can get quite matted. I have a guinea pig with long hair so I know what its like.

Guinea pigs which get wet bums also could have cystitis (more common in sows but occasionaly can be seen in boars!)

Check out this website for more information on it..

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/cystitis.htm

Just make sure that your piggie isn't passing any blood and just monitor also that he is not squeaking also when going for a pee.

If you need anymore advice or have any questions please do not hesitate to ask us here :)

Griffin was long haired and always did this for the few weeks i had him i think its where they pee and it just covers there hair i did the same i cut the bit around his bottom to stop this and he was fine try that but if it gets worse see your vet its better to be safe then sorry x

Yes, make sure that the hair is kept short as it can cause cystitis and other urinary trac infections if you don't.

i may take him to the vets just to make sure he is o.k cause he is very quiet and frank is sooooooooo lively it could be that its there personalities but ill make sure thanks dawn

Maybe he just went pee and because he is long haired, it will get his bum wet if he sat in it. This once happened to one of my long haired - but if you keep them nice and trim by the bum, it won't happen very often.

My Zubin is shy and quiet but hes ok, and Rudi and griff my previous piggies where NUTS lol so its probably his personality but its always a good idea to have him checked after you get them, did you buy them from a pet shop or adopt from a sancuary? x

If it will give you peace of mind then taking him to the vets will do no harm :) Let us know what they say!

hi i got them from a pet shop i was bought them for mothers day ,i havent a clue what breed they are one is beige and white and tufts his fur is quite long and soft were as frank is black and white and has also got lon hair but its courser ill get some pictures later so you can tell me I'm addicted I'm justt waiting on a peruvian sow sh ia black and white with a bit of red dawn x

Cool, then yeh maybe a vet nurse check would be good just incase hehe they sound lovely are they your first ones ever i bought my fifth this morning as i now have two hehe x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back