• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

What a few weeks...and antibiotic advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidanandnicki

Junior Guinea Pig
You might recall our last posts a few weeks ago when our much loved Colleen died and following a search for a friend for Honey, we rehomed two baby piggies Treacle and Toffee.

A couple of days after we got the babies, Honey injured her eye and luckily two weeks, two different eye creams & many vet visits later, yesterday we finally got the news we were hoping for, that the ulcer & damaged blood vessels have gone, although we need to carry on with the cream for another 10 days to see whether the remaining 'dryness' will also clear up.

Sadly, while all this was going on, little Treacle died suddenly. We have no idea why & had taken both of the babies to the vet when we got them for a thorough check up & they had been given a clean bill of health (Toffee had another check up during yesterday's vet visit to be on the safe side).

While Honey was being treated for her sore eye, she was given Baytril which really upset her tummy & she lost her appetite & weight. The vet was concerned about the rapid weight loss & gave us something to settle her tummy (after ruling out other causes), which worked a treat and we're very relieved that she's now started eating her veggies again & is gaining weight. But if Honey needs antibiotics in the future, is there something other than baytril that we should ask for or should we go with the baytril and make sure we get a probiotic too?

Sorry for the long post & hopefully we won't be needing antibiotics for Honey anytime soon, but we'd like to be prepared just in case...

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
I don't have an answer to your question but I just want to say how very sorry I am to hear what a time you have been having and how very very sorry I am about Treacle. I am sure there will be someone around who will be giving you some good advice soon xx

Queenbee

sorry to hear about your guinea pigs. One of our guinea piga had to recently be on antibiotics I'm not sure what they were called all i know is that they were cherry flavored and he did very well with them. Hope that helps.

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Antibiotics arent always that simple, depending on what you are treating. Its unfortunate that Baytril had a reaction in her. Guinea pigs cannot have penicillin based antibiotics so vets are always restricted on what drugs they can use. Baytril is used often as its a broad spectrum antimicrobial. Metronidazole is also a good antibiotic, usually precribed in a liquid form called Flagyl.

I really feel for you with all your piggie problems. All my girls send there hugs and squeaks.

x.

Aw how awful about your piggies!

Glad honey is on the mend!

Another antibiotic I know that is used in piggies (not licensed though) is Paediatric Septrin. You could always mention this in furture. Hopefully you wont have to.

I am sure more knowledgable members will know more than me.

Hope your piggies are all well now :)

Director at TEAS (West Hunsbury), Northampton, UK
Zithromax is a great all rounder. It works very quickly and is also not so harsh on their little stomachs. Only problem is, it is not routinely prescribed for pigs so your vet might be reluctant to use it. The first time I had it for one of my pigs, I had to sign a disclaimer.

My current vet, however, swears by it and it has seen a very sick past piggy through some very tough times!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.