What a Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had.................
Wilbur has a suspected fungal infection, Huxley bullied Hamish and this morning i was woken by the sound of my dog Dylan having an epileptic fit!
He had one in january and was on tablets but as he'd had no more when we took him back a month later the vet thought he'd be fine, maybe he'd grow out of it.
Today was awful this fit lasted approx 3 minutes (which seemed like 10), we took him to the vet, who was quite nonchalant; he said once they have a fit they will have more but there is nothing you can do but keep the dog calm & prevent him hurting himself. It's only serious if it happens more than once a day or if the fit lasts longer than 10 minutes.
He's back on medication (double what he was on last time) and goes back in a month to see how he's doing.
I can't tell you how distressing it was and the total feeling of helplessness was awful.
The good news is he's now back to his normal hyper self :)

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm glad Dylan is feeling better now Niki. Epilepsy is a nasty illness - one of my piggies has it and I still cry every time he has a fit.

They do like to worry us don't they?

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
starshine said:
I'm glad Dylan is feeling better now Niki. Epilepsy is a nasty illness - one of my piggies has it and I still cry every time he has a fit.

They do like to worry us don't they?
I totally understand, all i did was cry, it is just awful. As for worrying i'll be on valium by the end of the month if owt else happens ::)

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Its so scary when you see one of your animals fit. You just feel so so helpless. I have experienced this with a few of my animals!

I hope that Dylan doesn't have anymore and stays being his normal hyper self! :)

Beks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your little problems Niki.... My friend's dog also suffers from epilepsy and fits regularly, all they can do is medicate him and monitor it :(

Sorry to hear the pigs aren't so great, Chrissie (GG) has some fab products for nipping fungal in the bud :)

J

Jenni75

We had a Dachsund when I was younger that was epileptic - slight bit of excitement and that would set him off. We found the best thing was to wrap him in a towel (including covering his eyes so he was in the dark) and cuddle him until it was over. Horrible to go through though - hope he's feeling better now :)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
my last dog Muffin was epeleptic and had them about 4 times a year the first I was on my own and 8 months pregnant fighting the living daylights out of me he lived until 13 so but his tablets made him worse, Charlie my dog who died in july also had fits but only after he had his yearly booster so at 11 I* stopped it, he too died aged 13, it looks bad so I know how you must feel

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's awful to watch, the vet said we're not supposed to go near him incase he bites us. I can't stand back & watch one of my kids fitting - the stupid man! so I talk to him calmly and stroke him and hope it's over quickly.
He's really good at taking his meds - i rattle the bottle and he comes and sits in front of me to take it. Then i have to say "hurray" and off he trots wagging his stump ;D ;D
Unfortunately it hasn't affected the bit of his brain that makes him extremely territorial/possessive but hey i can't have it all! ;D ;D
Thanks everyone for your kind words :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.