What bedding should i use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
my younger guinea pig has got an eye infection and its been to the vets and its having eye drops at the moment.
the only problem is it was the hay that caused this problem. and i used to use hay as the bedding so the vet said i shouldnt use it but they need bedding especially in winter ! so what should i use ? at the moment ive been using towels but they get all wet and poo sticks on it and i have to change them every night but i dont have enough towels ! so has anyone got any ideas what i can use for bedding ? i do give them lots of hay to eat by the way in there hay rack because obviously they need it maintain a healthy diet :)

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I continued to use hay as bedding when Artie got his eye infection (from a sharp piece of hay!), and he was fine with it, are you sure it's hay not straw bedding? Straw bedding is sharper and thicker than hay...I know thats a silly question but i was just wondering as i bought a huge bale of labelled 'hay' when i first got my boys when i got home i realised it was straw AGH!

if not you could try megazorb bedding? No sharp bits and soft and squidgy! :)

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's lots of options, but if you don't like towels you probably wont like fleece...

Woodchip?
Advantages - absorbant, available any pet store
Disadvantages - gets everywhere! have to buy more (can't be reused - but then you used hay before)

Carefresh?
Advantages - more absorbant than woodchip (therefore lasts longer/cheaper in long run), softer than woodchip, available in good pet stores
Disadvantages - more expensive at first, it looks a bit funny..

Status
Not open for further replies.