What can I do? (Welfare issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My neighbours have a rabbit in a hutch in their back garden, but the hutch is so small the poor thing can hardly move, I never see any one go out there and no one ever interacts with it. I know my housemate has told them about Windwhistle Warren Rabbit and Guinea Pig rescue, and said that they should take the rabbit there, but they just refused (I don't know why because they never do anything with the rabbit...it's not exactly a pet!). Last week the bunny that was kept above this one died (RIP) I don't know how, but I just feel so sorry for the poor thing as it can barely move. I would call the RSPCA or something, but I feel it would be too suspicious and I don't want my housemate to get in trouble because of it (as she has a history with the family, and they might put the blame on her). I just don't really know how to go about it, but I just really want to help the poor thing. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
You can call the RSPCA anonymously and just tell them that you're really concerned or maybe contact the rabbit rescue you've mentioned.
What a horrible position to be in and having to look out of your window and see that xx
If there's any come back from the neighbours just lie and say "nope not us obviously someone else thought the same thing but did something about it" rolleyes

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah, I was considering that. I just don't want to cause problems. My friend has just come round and was considering calling the RSPCA. I suppose that would be a better way as then I'm not involved at all.

Reaction score
If they won't take advice or rehome I think reporting them is the only option.

They are not furfilling the rabbits needs in many areas by the sounds of it. Please do report them, it's no life for a rabbit to lead. The other rabbit probably died of VHD or stasis :(

Reaction score
If you have a look on the National RSPCA website there's a little guide about what things they will ask for on the phone which is handy so you know what to say. Good luck and well done for doing something :)

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to go in their garden in the dead of night and take it, leave the door open so it looks like it escaped. Did i really say that? :x

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to go in their garden in the dead of night and take it, leave the door open so it looks like it escaped. Did i really say that? :x

thats what i was thinking but have a home lined up so your not caught in possession of the bunny

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Strangely enough, that it was me and my friend were discussing :)) :x

They have a sensor light though, so it would be tricky.
I do have an RSPCA office up the road, so may pop in there on my way to uni.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
how about writing a nice letter to the house anonymously and say if they dont make certain changes the RSPCA will be contacted?

:( poor thing x

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I could do, I just don't know how much of it they would understand as they are Portuguese (if they are anything like the Spanish they don't know much about animal welfare, etc). My friend said that she would take it, or she would contact someone at the rescue, so I will talk to the RSPCA and see what they say about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.