• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What Concentration Of Cranberry Juice Should You Feed Pigs With Possible Uti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig007

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

One of my pigs is bleeding quite a bit when she pees. :(

I am arranging to see the Vet to get an X-ray but I have some pure cranberry juice from Holland and Barrett and want to syringe feed her some in the meantime but have no idea of what concentration i.e how much water/cranberry juice or even how many ml to feed her or how often.

Be grateful if anyone could help. She had peed blood in the past but it cleared up..Fed her fresh cranberries over Christmas which may have help. But the blood is back again.:no:

Good that you are booking her in! Please ask your vet for metacam (painkiller and anti-inflammatory) to help with any discomfort.
You may also think about glucosamine or similar bladder coating products like cystease/cystaid etc. Some people swear by barley water, especially with guinea pigs with interstitial (recurring) cystitis and ongoing bladder damage - but these are only in the way of support, they do NOT replace vet treatment and the appropriate medication.

To be honest, I am not sure how helpful cranberry juice is as opinions are divided on that score and it has never done much for my own piggies. It can certainly not cure a bladder problem! You can try undiluted or a mix of half water/half juice, depending on what your piggy will rather take.

The more fluid you can give, the better. Mildly diuretic foods like cucumber, lettuce, dandelion or grass can also help with flushing any bacteria out and help minimising the discomfort, as long as you do not overfeed on them so her poos go soft.

To be honest, I am not sure how helpful cranberry juice is as opinions are divided on that score and it has never done much for my own piggies. It can certainly not cure a bladder problem! You can try undiluted or a mix of half water/half juice, depending on what your piggy will rather take.

The more fluid you can give, the better. Mildly diuretic foods like cucumber, lettuce, dandelion or grass can also help with flushing any bacteria out and help minimising the discomfort, as long as you do not overfeed on them so her poos go soft.
She seems to be better - I am still taking her to the vets today though as the same thing happened previously - she was peeing blood, took her to the vet and then she was fine. I have been giving her 3ml of undiluted fresh cranberry juice morning and night - no idea if its made a difference. But can't do any harm. Also been giving her cucumber/lettuce but she gets that daily anyway. She looks fine - eating well and seems happy enough.

Vet (and it is one recommend on this forum) will only X-ray under anaesthetic which put us off last time as when examined the Vet could not feel any signs of discomfort and was then fine. This is the pig that also has the lump, which I have now decided to get removed so am going to ask for them to do an X-ray at the same time.

Complicated animals Guinea Pigs - expensive as well.:doh:

You are right on both counts! All the best - it may just be a form of interstitial cystitis.

Good luck at the vets.

One thing to note on the cranberry juice, if it turns out you are dealing with Interstitial cystitis which is inflammation of the bladder, then cranberry juice has been known to make things worse. I know of a pig that hemorrhaged blood after being given it when they had bad IC. It is the same with humans with IC, doctors don't recommend cranberry juice then either.

Last edited:
Also - if you are using the cranberry concentrate liquid then this DOES need to be diluted at least 1ml in 10ml water
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-natural-cranberry-concentrate-60002595
Just back from the vets and from the examination she seems fine. So at present there is no treatment. I have booked her in for an X-Ray and ultra scan to investigate it further.

This is the cranberry juice I am giving her:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/elite-naturel-100-organic-cranberry-juice/-60035994

I am concerned if it can make Interstitial cystitis worse…:(…the trouble is until it has been investigated further we won't know what we are dealing with. Don't know what to do now.:blink: I did mention it to the vet that I was feeding her it but they just said just don't give too much - 3ml morning/night is that a lot? I am may stop giving it to be safe then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back