• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What diets work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, you are all talking about choccie when you are feeling bad (me? guilty), and diets, and burning fat...

So which diets actually work and are not horrendously unhealthy?

I would like to get back to my old weight before I came to the UK, that means I have to lose two stone til next year August... *sigh*

Any suggestions?

Weight Watchers does, but while you have the freedom to choose what you spend your points on, you can still eat unhealthily. It's all down to will power and common sense ::)

I'd like to lose some weight too...

Barbara

Nothing works for me as I eat too much and have no willpower :(

No, you don't have to buy WW products, you can work the points out for any food

Abnoba said:
do I have to buy weight watcher products only when I got with their diet?

You can eat anything, but it has a points value that you have to work out.
The number of points available, depends on your weight. So you may start with say, 20 points per day to use up.
Weight Watchers products have the points already worked out, but when you join the class, you get a little cardboard calculator which allows you to work out the points of other things. You have to know the calorific value and saturated fat value though. This is on the packaging of most things.

It sounds fiddly but you get used to it.

Barbara...who needs to start counting her points again :(

When I've been on a diet, I find the good old-fashioned calorie counting diet the best. Just stick to around 1,000 calories a day and do some exercise and you will lose weight. Sounds easy? It is'nt by any means as you have to weigh all your food and keep an (honest!) check on everthing you eat. But it really does work because if you eat too fewer calories than your body needs to keep functioning, it will start to burn the dreaded fat. In fact looking at the double chin i've got on my belly, I think I need to get the scales out :o

My friend and i have just joined Weight Watchers never been to this kind of club before. Have counted calories but this is a bit tedious.

We are following the no count plan which is easy to follow and i lost 5 pounds in the first week! :) :( 3 stone to go

I'm just trying to eat healthily really, I can't do Atkins as I'm a veggie, so I have to eat carbs or starve rofl

I'd love to know how to loose weight though. :-\

I'm doing the LighterLife Programme :)

It's a weight loss programme for the clinically obese (you must have at least 3 stone to lose and have a BMI of 29 or over) and for the first few months you eat very low calorie but nutritionally balanced meal replacements such as soups, shakes and bars. The programme also invloves weekly group therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy to help you get to the root of why you over eat. After all we all know which foods we should eat so how come we don't? Plus you are also required to have a medical with your doctor before you join (in case their is a health reason that would prevent you doing the diet) and every four weeks you return to the practise nurse to have you blood pressure and medication checked. These are all musts. Just about every diet i've ever tried has said you should visit your doctor to check you are fit enough to engage on the diet of your choice but how many times has your counsellor asked if you've been? This is the only diet where they have insisted.

Don't get me wrong, it's been hard but the counselling and group support have really helped me see why i was over eating. In my first week i lost 8 pounds and i've averaged between 2 and 3.5 pounds per week. I totally recommend this diet to anyone :) Your talking to someone who has failed on at least 10 different diets and is only now finding success. I used to think i had no will power but now i know differently.

You can check out there website www.lighterlife.com for further information but if anyone would like to ask me anything just PM me.

I have tried them all ::), but have found that for me...Weight Watchers works everytime.

I just do my allowed daily points and the weight does come off. Its just sticking to it I have trouble with as I do love my grub. :D ;D

The only diet that works is Atkins. It is perfectly safe - indeed it makes us eat the foods we were meant to eat since we were caveman. It changes the way the body works, meaning you HAVE to burn fat in preference to glucose. If you are eating diets high in pasta., grains, fruit and veg you will never burn fat because there is a huge supply of sugar and the body always burns that first. Atkins prevenst the blood sugar crashes that ruin so many diets , and you will never feel hungry. There is no calorie counting, only carb counting.

I lost nearly two stone in just over two months.

Do it. :)

Lucinda said:
The only diet that works is Atkins. It is perfectly safe - indeed it makes us eat the foods we were meant to eat since we were caveman. It changes the way the body works, meaning you HAVE to burn fat in preference to glucose. If you are eating diets high in pasta., grains, fruit and veg you will never burn fat because there is a huge supply of sugar and the body always burns that first. Atkins prevenst the blood sugar crashes that ruin so many diets , and you will never feel hungry. There is no calorie counting, only carb counting.

I lost nearly two stone in just over two months.

Do it. :)

So what do you eat on an average day? I can't eat dairy or eggs, could I still do it? I tried Atkins some years back but was starving!

Kathryn xx

I eat for eg:

Breakfast
cheese, cold meat, tomatoes

Lunch
Chicken, salad

Dinner
some meat or fish and salad or green beans

It's harder if you are limited but you can eat loads of meat and fish.

I tried Atkins once and lost quite well, but I used to eat meat then. It did make me feel quite ill though! :o.

Can you do Atkins as a veggie ? what could you eat ? are there any good websites to have a looksee at ?

Deb x

Try atkinscenter.com

I think it would be pretty hopeless trying to do it as a vegetarian though, unless you eat eggs, cheese, fish, poultry.

Lucinda said:
Try atkinscenter.com

I think it would be pretty hopeless trying to do it as a vegetarian though, unless you eat eggs, cheese, fish, poultry.

Just been having a search, and it does look like its not really possible to do as a veggie. :-\

Oh well... back to WW and points counting. ;D.

I've been debating whether to go (back) to Slimming World, no counting, free food and ideal if you're veggie as you stick to green days. Any opinions on Slimming World?

Kathryn xx

kayjay said:
I've been debating whether to go (back) to Slimming World, no counting, free food and ideal if you're veggie as you stick to green days. Any opinions on Slimming World?

Kathryn xx

Hi Kathryn

I have tried SW as a veggie, and the green days are great, just perfect, you can have all your veggie products on green days, soya milk, etc. You can have some nuts as one of your healthy options as well.

It is a great diet.. but for me to diet successfully I need to set limits! if someone tells me I can have UNLIMITED food, which SW does, then thats what I am going to do because I am a greedy devil. ;D. So I eat TOO MUCH! LOL

With WW points, I have my daily allowance of points and if I use them up, thats it I know I need to stop eating. :D ::) or go bust! So I do find the WW points system works best for me. But we are all different. All diets work, if you stick to them right, its just finding one that works best for you and your lifestyle.

I am getting back on the wagon today, and hopefully by Christmas I will be 1stone light which is achievable. :). I will never be twiggy I just want to be a sensible weight.

Deb x

I like Herbalife its similar to lighter life but i buy the products on ebay as its cheaper and I tend to do it for a few weeks then have a break for a week or so that way I dont get fed up so far have lost nearly a stone,

years ago i tried atkins as a veggie- I DONT recommend it! :P

I used to have scrambled eggs for brekkie, some kind of lettuce and cheese creation for lunch and more egg or quorn for tea (altho thats not strictly allowed as it contains catbs).
it really was torture, and i only lost weight because there was so little to eat!

i think weightwatchers is excellent. I know a lot of people say 'just eat less and you'll loose weight' but someof us need the control that counting points gives you :)

my friend did Lighter life, and although it was very expensive and an extreme kind of diet, it worked for her- she truly looked amazing. She lost over 3 stone in 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back