What do you do? - Jobwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I think we have probably had a thread like this before but thought I would start a new thread where we can add what jobs we do and a description of our jobs. Do you work full-time or part-time? Do you enjoy your job? What is your dream job?

I will go first...

I work at a private nursery in Rugby as a nursery assistant. I am not a qualified nursery nurse hence the reason I am classed as a nursery assistant. I work in the toddler unit which is for children aged 2 years - 2 years 9months. We have a rota of daily chores such as breakfast, lunch, tea duty and morning and afternoon nappies. On a Monday I am on teas, Tuesday I am on breakfast, on Thursday I am on afternoon nappies and Friday I am on lunch. I also have to do activities with the children aswell as making sure they are all having a good time. I sometime do carpet time with the kids which is when we say goodmorning to each other, read a story and do singing.

I work 40 hours a week, 10 hour days with Wednesday as my day off in the week and also have Saturday and Sunday off.

I love my job apart from the low wage however I suppose I would rather enjoy a job than be doing something I don't enjoy for more money. The reason I am working in a nursery is because I want to gain experience with children. My ultimate dream job is to become a primary school teacher. To do teaching, you need to have a C in maths, englsih and science GCSE and either A-levels or an Access Course to get into uni. I have a C in my english and science GCSE and I am now waiting for my result of my maths GCSE. I got a D in my maths when I was at school so I went back to college in September and took my maths GCSE exam again last month. Fingers crossed I have got a C. :) I have 2 AS levels in Law (C) and Sociology (D) however I will be taking the Access Course when I decide I would like to do my primary teaching degree. To do the Access Course, you have to be over 19 (which I am) and can do the course full-time in 1 year or part-time in 2 years. When I have completed the Access Course would like to go to Northampton Uni as I can travel there daily.

Well thats all about my job e.t.c. Look forward to hearing all abour yours! :)

D

DebbieR

I work for the local council in Education. Our department look after the maintenance of the school buildings.
I hate my job and I hate the people I work with. Actually, I wouldn't mind the job if I was working with different people.
I'm not the slightest bit interested in Education or children. I wasn't when I was a kid. It's really annoying when they expect us to care what happens round here.
I've only just decided what I want to do when I grow up and at 37 I think I've left it a leetle bit late. I want to be an animal behaviourist but alas, I have no qualifications and no money to train.
Still never mind eh? Only another....23 years till I retire....oh wait they've put it up havn't they? Make that 31 years...they've probably put it up again in the time its taken me to type this post. I'll be working till I drop which, the way I feel at the moment, will be at about 12.30 ;D ;D

M

Michele

I'm a stay at home mum.

I am an Avon Rep and have over 60 customer. I love this job

I'm also a volunteer for the Andover & District Cats Protection. I also love this.

Need to get another job due to change of circumstance

Before the kids I was a manager of a travel Agent.

Reaction score
I'm a stay at home mum and as i have some medical problems, probable MS, osteo arthritis, and a spine condition called spondelothesis, which causes me great pain same as the OA, doubt i will ever work full time again, I answer the phones for my hubbys driving school and do his paper work, ie book tests etc, my right arm is very weak and it limits me in what part time job I can do I would have liked to work in a local tea room in the summer season (I live on the Isle of wight) but cannot hold a tray etc,
I too use to work in a travel agency in accounts, I use to pay the companys big cheques, :o and keep customers records etc I loved it but left to have my eldest, I also was a child minder when my 2 elder ones were young, and my first job when I left school was a telephonist at a big garage, where i met hubby Mick in 1977 he was parts manager, and we are still happily married and have 5 kids,
sometimes its boring at home but I can always spend time with my darling pigs or read a good book,

C

claire

I work for the card shop The Card Warehouse in Lincoln.

I am supposed to work 16 hours a week but i always work more. I love my job as i am in the public eye and i love talking to people all day.

Mainly i have to work on the till, put cards out, unpack delivery, and just general shop stuff, also the wages are quite good and everyone is lovely were i work.

I sometimes sing in pubs and clubs on a weekend but i have had to give that up for the moment as I'm working too much lol

My dream job would be a redcoat at Butlins but i have Matt and ther piggies now and i wouldn't leave them.

Reaction score
I'd love to have a job! LOL ;D

Right now I stay at home usually on or around the pc. I do housework and look after all the animals. I am always reading up on piggies to expand my knowledge on them, and hopefully soon I can do the rodentology course and become a qualified rodentologist.

This is something which I am positive I can do, and then also maybe work part-time for a vet or start my own practice.

Piggies and their welfare is part of my life and hobby now.

I don't get bored as I have plenty of things to keep me occupied. I also help out on a few forums giving advice etc on piggies.
I am at the beck and call of animals!

Currently making invitations and planning for my brothers' 21st in October!

M

Michele

michellemuffin said:
I'm a stay at home mum and as i have some medical problems, probable MS, osteo arthritis, and a spine condition called spondelothesis, which causes me great pain same as the OA, doubt i will ever work full time again, I answer the phones for my hubbys driving school and do his paper work, ie book tests etc, my right arm is very weak and it limits me in what part time job I can do I would have liked to work in a local tea room in the summer season (I live on the Isle of wight) but cannot hold a tray etc,
I too use to work in a travel agency in accounts, I use to pay the companys big cheques, :o and keep customers records etc I loved it but left to have my eldest, I also was a child minder when my 2 elder ones were young, and my first job when I left school was a telephonist at a big garage, where i met hubby Mick in 1977 he was parts manager, and we are still happily married and have 5 kids,
sometimes its boring at home but I can always spend time with my darling pigs or read a good book,

Hi MIchelle who did oyu work for in travel?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me - I'm a certified lunatic - or a Primary School teacher as its more commonly known! At the moment I teach Year 3 who are first year juniors but come September I'm moving down to the infants to teach Year 2 which will be a culture shock to say the least!

I love my job and would never do anything else but I hate the fact that people think teaching is easy - it isn't! I work 10 hours most days at school and then more when I get home and all through my supposed massive amounts of holidays! I've been qualified for 2 years now and have never worked so hard in my life! I have also worked as a waitress, cook, bar maid, special needs assistant/learning mentor and a learning centre assistant.

Its two weeks until the summer holidays now and I can't wait for the change of routine!

G

gothchick1515

Wooo i can post here!

I'm a Healthcare Assistant for Lloyds Pharmacy, Or at least thats what they are training me to be

I start officially next friday 9-6 but i have just finished my work placemnt there.

I take in the prescriptions, i give them to the pharmacist whos lovely then i serve on the till and me and Dan muck around taking the mick out of things and people (rude i no!) then when the order comes in i sort that out then in the afternoon i tidy and clean shelves.

I liked the work placement so i hope to enjoy working there, and its good money for me £4-65 a hr (I'm 17) which is good as i was living on £20 ema a week before.

My dream job...

Well its been a tough year trying to think of this but i have come to fairly solid disision i am applying to do a Learning Disability Nursing Honors Degree and work in the community with People with Learning disablilities who are living independantly or in accomdation helping with things like making breakfast to sorting a bank account.

Though i always wanted to be a neo-natal nurse or a midwife but now i just dont feel i could see a baby die :'( x

B

blossom

Well, I'm a vet nurse and it is very hard tiring work, not like a lot of people think that we sit around cuddling fluffly rabbits and cats all day (we have a lot of work experience kids that come in the summer and are shocked that they dont get to do that!)
Every day is different as you never know what will happen next.
My job includeds mointoring GAs taking xrays and blood samples putting animals on fluid therapy and also making sure they get the right after op care they need.
It is a very rewarding job but if anyone is thinking about it for the money, dont, the money is pants this is the sort of job you do out of love and care for animals. And its very dirty sometimes lol ;D

Reaction score
I use to work in Harlow Essex for a small family owned company called Harlow and Epping travel, it was a brilliant job and I would have loved to carry on but I wanted to be a mum much more.

J

Janella

I work as an office assistant for the Midland Anglican Church, I work one day a week and two volunteer days. I'm also involved with the Parish Council,Pastoral Assistant(there the guys that hand out the bread & wine) children's ministry(i.e.sunday school) the choir and the youth group.

I'm planning to do some short theology courses this year and my dream would be to get into Murdoch Univeristy to do a Bachelor of Arts in Theology, to become a priest later on.

L

lukey

I work for British Gas doing repairs and servicing on boilers and the systems etc... its a good job unless you have to work in a loft on boiling hot day.

S

snugglypig

stay at home mum 1st, But run my own Dressmaking and Alteration Service, work the hours kids are at school.
which is fine when they are at school, but school holidays started on the 2nd June and the work still keeps coming in, not easy to concentrate with 5 at home.

love my job and don't want anything else.

karen

Status
Not open for further replies.