• Saturday 8th August 8pm-10:30pm is the Forum Summer PRIDE virtual event! Everyone is welcome so please come along and join in the party!! More details HERE

What do you have on your bookshelves?

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have the Laura Ingalls Wilder Books that I loved as a child, Harry Potter books, The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Hunger Games Trilogy, cookery books. Most of Cecilia Ahern's book (love her as an author!), Percy Jackson books (my son's), Dr Seuss books (I practically learnt how to read with Dr Seuss so I keep them for nostalgia reasons - Fox in Sox the tongue twister book is my absolute favourite and I still read it now - My Dad could never get his tongue around Through Three Cheese Trees and said it was impossible so I proved him wrong!) Loads more books .... Oh and lots of dust!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have lots of dust too, dusting is one of those jobs I never find time for.
I absolutely loath dusting! I really can't see the point. You do it, it's comes back again. When the boys were little I used to pay them to dust! I leave it until I can write "Dust me" in it, think about dusting it and then about a week or so later think about it again and finally get the duster out when I feel like it!

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Randomly I have The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Black Adder scripts, Me Elton John, a biography of 10cc, The Last Hero (Terry Pratchett), a couple of Jane Austin books and a book about Turkish food and cookery. There are also knitted piggies, bits of hay and probably guinea pig poo if I look closely.

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I absolutely loath dusting! I really can't see the point. You do it, it's comes back again. When the boys were little I used to pay them to dust! I leave it until I can write "Dust me" in it, think about dusting it and then about a week or so later think about it again and finally get the duster out when I feel like it!
Me too! Hubby would always tell me that if I clean every week then I don't have to dust too much. But it always get back right away anyway. I just do thorough dusting whenever my in-laws visit coz mum-in-law notices everything! 😂😂 You can just imagine how dusty some of the furniture here in the house at the moment since MIL hasn't been here for a long time. 🤣🤣

Falken

BossHogg Relations Manager
Administrator
Reaction score
:) My bookshelf has an interesting history as to how I acquired it, but I won't go in to it. Have most of the classics, a few dictionaries, a few books on Latin and Greek, sciency stuff, pop-science stuff. Harry Potter I lent to a relative and the series is currently rotting somewhere in a storage unit, never personally owned OOTP. I don't dislike JKR, and she is entirely entitled to her opinions - was really great when she decided DD was gay, I think the differences of opinion are due to an otherwise perfectly sound person being a bit out of their depth on current trends, and she certainly doesn't deserve death threats for it - although more recent authorial revisionism has been a bit bonkers, no toilets, seriously.

I bought a Kobo thingy in January and It's been a godsend, it can accept EPUBs as an opensource format, so I can read literally anything, things like 'Project Gutenburg', and if anyone fancies free audiobooks, there's Librovox - it's not great, but it's volunteers making an effort - and you can find a great selection of old BBC radio dramas on Youtube, with only the audio, it's really hard to date a piece, particularly recommend their version of 'An Inspector Calls' - although don't listen to their 'Werewolf of London' to fall asleep to in the middle of November.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Me too! Hubby would always tell me that if I clean every week then I don't have to dust too much. But it always get back right away anyway. I just do thorough dusting whenever my in-laws visit coz mum-in-law notices everything! 😂😂 You can just imagine how dusty some of the furniture here in the house at the moment since MIL hasn't been here for a long time. 🤣🤣
Pleased somebody else is of the same opinion as me! If your Hubby is that bothered about the dust, does he know where the dusters are kept? Do you?

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear zoo, the very hungry caterpillar, guess how much I love you, all about me, 123 splosh, zoom, the crown on your head... About the only books I get a chance to read at the moment. I'm still reading the unwound dystology and having to go back over bits as I only pick up while she is feeding.

Of the books I have yet to read Invisible Women: exposing data bias in a world designed for men is top of my list. I got it for Christmas and think it might be this Christmas by the time I get to start it 😂

Sonnet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Er, let’s see. Harry Potter (though I don’t really read them these days), Watership Down, couple of Brandon Sanderson books, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, few volumes of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Anthony Horowitz, various non-fiction books - mostly to do with animals/nature, various graphic novels (including X-Men, Watchmen, random Marvel comics, Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft) and assorted volumes of manga. There’s a lot more, but it would take all day to list them!

Top of my book shelf is home to pictures, plants and dust!

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I bought a Kobo thingy in January and It's been a godsend, it can accept EPUBs as an opensource format, so I can read literally anything, things like 'Project Gutenburg', and if anyone fancies free audiobooks, there's Librovox - it's not great, but it's volunteers making an effort - and you can find a great selection of old BBC radio dramas on Youtube, with only the audio, it's really hard to date a piece, particularly recommend their version of 'An Inspector Calls' - although don't listen to their 'Werewolf of London' to fall asleep to in the middle of November.
Is this written in some kind of code? :)) I love how the young embrace all this wizardry stuff.
Librovox sounds interesting, what kind of mind boggling technology do you need to get that?

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quentin Crisp said that after four years the dust doesn’t get any worse 😁

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mainly art and poetry books with a few biographies. Olga da Polga of course and a copy of my favourite childhood book The Little Prince which I’ve had since the early 70’s. It’s a bit tatty and fraying around the edges not unlike myself. It’s not in the least bit twee 😁

Attachments

Falken

BossHogg Relations Manager
Administrator
Reaction score
Is this written in some kind of code? :)) I love how the young embrace all this wizardry stuff.
Librovox sounds interesting, what kind of mind boggling technology do you need to get that?
:) My apologies, hocus pocus etc - https://librivox.org/search you can search, and download them to whatever device that can play audio - although some of them are a bit ropey, they are at least trying.