• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What do you have on your bookshelves?

PigglePuggle

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just trying to tidy up a bit and find some storage space for all the books I bought off eBay during lockdown... I am terribly messy with books and they usually pile up next to my bed until the pile falls over because I don't have enough shelves
So I was having a sort out, I have Terry Pratchett in the wardrobe and Agatha Christie in a storage box under my bed there are just too many for my shelves...!
I wondered what everyone else has on their bookshelves?
What do you have most of? Mine is sci-fi or scandinavian noir for fiction, and zoology text books or popular science books for non-fiction.
Do you have anything a bit pretentious or "woke" that you bought because you thought you should read it but didnt really like it? I have Manto, and Toni Morrison. I tried, but both were a bit too shockingly bleak for me.
What do you have that's completely random? I have "a history of false teeth" that my boss gave me when I took a week off work to have 6 teeth extracted and a partial denture fitted!
And do you have anything that you used to like once but find a bit embarassing now? I have Irvine Welsh, I dont really want him on my shelf but I certainly wouldnt want him under my bed lol!

I have all Sophie Kinsella/Madeleine Wickham books, The Hunger Games series, Twilight series, Fifty Shades series, a few Dan Brown books, some of Cecelia Ahern books, and a few romance books. I stopped buying books and just buy Kindle books. I probably have around 1000+ books in Kindle. 🤣

Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell, Jack Higgins, Lee Child, Tom Clancy, Harper Lee, webcomics (Sarah's Scribbles, Heart and Brain etc), Tolkien, videogame tie-in novels (mostly Bioware related, like the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes) and then a bunch of "young adult" novels that I'm definitely not going to get rid of just because I'm 32. Stuff like Tarka the Otter, The Plague Dogs, Watership Down, Chronicles of Narnia, that sort of thing.

Oh, and a few piles of National Geographic magazines.

I have the Harry Potter series too, but with J.K Rowling's crusades on Twitter I'm not sure I'm happy with keeping them on the shelves. Nowhere else for them to go at the minute but once the flat can finally be sorted, they might be chucked into a dark corner somewhere.

I have bear grylls survival in the wild books that I still need to complete. That's about all.

Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell, Jack Higgins, Lee Child, Tom Clancy, Harper Lee, webcomics (Sarah's Scribbles, Heart and Brain etc), Tolkien, videogame tie-in novels (mostly Bioware related, like the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes) and then a bunch of "young adult" novels that I'm definitely not going to get rid of just because I'm 32. Stuff like Tarka the Otter, The Plague Dogs, Watership Down, Chronicles of Narnia, that sort of thing.

Oh, and a few piles of National Geographic magazines.

I have the Harry Potter series too, but with J.K Rowling's crusades on Twitter I'm not sure I'm happy with keeping them on the shelves. Nowhere else for them to go at the minute but once the flat can finally be sorted, they might be chucked into a dark corner somewhere.
I just filed the whole Chronicles of Narnia series and a pile of Nat Geo magazines under my bed with Agatha Christie lol :)
I'm with you about J.K.Rowling, I never liked Harry Potter myself but I used to think it was a great concept and she was a good role model but I think she's really let people down :(

4 files of Guinea Pig Magazine, a collection of old and out of date piggie books (I like the pictures), Olga de Polga, RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening, other gardening books, 2 on garden ponds, several cookery books, First Edition Queen Mary's Dolls House set, lots of books on Dorset, set of Thomas Hardy novels, bird and wildlife books, a big pile of various paper back novels of all types waiting to be read, these have been passed to me and will be donated to someone else when finished. I don't keep many novels as I am short of space.
I have some of my favourite childhood novels though, The Secret Garden, The Railway Children, Alice in Wonderland, the old classics.
The slightly embarrassing ones - Snoopy Annuals, David Cassidy Annual 1974 and Top of The Pops Annual 1974.
Last but not least 6 library books waiting to be returned, 3 months overdue now!

4 files of Guinea Pig Magazine, a collection of old and out of date piggie books (I like the pictures), Olga de Polga, RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening, other gardening books, 2 on garden ponds, several cookery books, First Edition Queen Mary's Dolls House set, lots of books on Dorset, set of Thomas Hardy novels, bird and wildlife books, a big pile of various paper back novels of all types waiting to be read, these have been passed to me and will be donated to someone else when finished. I don't keep many novels as I am short of space.
I have some of my favourite childhood novels though, The Secret Garden, The Railway Children, Alice in Wonderland, the old classics.
The slightly embarrassing ones - Snoopy Annuals, David Cassidy Annual 1974 and Top of The Pops Annual 1974.
Last but not least 6 library books waiting to be returned, 3 months overdue now!
I have Olga da Polga too, I had them as a child then I won them in a charity auction here on the forum when I was a newbie on here, my nephews love them!
Olga will not be going under my bed, but the GP magazines might have to... and I also have 3 library books that are now 4 months overdue :)

I'm with you about J.K.Rowling, I never liked Harry Potter myself but I used to think it was a great concept and she was a good role model but I think she's really let people down :(

My issue is I already own the books, it's not like me getting rid of them is going to cause her a problem in any way. And they might end up with someone else as second hand copies, who then might decide they want new copies. I know it's a stretch, but views like hers are dangerous even if she believes or insists otherwise.

I also have a bunch of DVDs on one bookcase and a bunch of thread, a glass, a box of cigarette papers and a box of pins on another bookcase (using one shelf). You know, the one right next to the desk so I can just chuck stuff in it when my desk gets full lol.

Yes its annoying isnt it, the books were good but you probably can't enjoy them now you know they were written by someone tweeting transphobic views :(
And I also have non-book items on my bookshelves, lots of random shells, pebbles and pinecones the kids have collected on the beach or in the park, and more hay and piggy poops than I would admit to anywhere else but here on the forum on the bookshelves in the piggy room!

I'd forgotten you'd won the Olga's, I donated them to The Potteries, they were my 'spares'. I've got the complete Chronicles of Narnia in an anniversary edition , we found it in a charity shop a few years ago. I gave my original set to my daughter.
I used to love Harry Potter, I thought JK Rowling was lovely! My partner never liked her, he saw through her straight away and refused to read her books.

I love vintage dolls houses (have 4 dating from 1920's-1950's), so am very interested to hear of your Queen Mary's Dolls House set!

I love vintage dolls houses (have 4 dating from 1920's-1950's), so am very interested to hear of your Queen Mary's Dolls House set!
I very much regret giving away my 1960's dolls house. I saw one like it in a museum last year, that really made me feel old.
My families only claim to fame is that my grandmother sewed a pearl on the Kings bedspread for QM's doll's house. When I found the books for sale I had to have them. They were a very limited print run, people subscribed to them, the profits going to build the house.

About 6 knitting books and one magazine. A photography magazine, recipe book (eat well for less). These are on one shelf. On another I have 5 knitting books (fair isle), a danish grammar textbook, a danish short stories book (comprehension practise), my journal, a sudoku book, some danish textbooks, random papers and my folder for my teaching stuff. Under the bed are the thriller books - mainly Karin slaughter and one by another author I don’t remember. The bookshelves downstairs are for the kids’ books! And there are LOADS!

I very much regret giving away my 1960's dolls house. I saw one like it in a museum last year, that really made me feel old.
My families only claim to fame is that my grandmother sewed a pearl on the Kings bedspread for QM's doll's house. When I found the books for sale I had to have them. They were a very limited print run, people subscribed to them, the profits going to build the house.
I'd love to visit to see QM's house one day! You could always buy a house the same as your own one for nostalgia ... eBay regularly have vintage dolls houses for sale?!

About 6 knitting books and one magazine. A photography magazine, recipe book (eat well for less). These are on one shelf. On another I have 5 knitting books (fair isle), a danish grammar textbook, a danish short stories book (comprehension practise), my journal, a sudoku book, some danish textbooks, random papers and my folder for my teaching stuff. Under the bed are the thriller books - mainly Karin slaughter and one by another author I don’t remember. The bookshelves downstairs are for the kids’ books! And there are LOADS!
That reminds me I need to sort out my nephew's books too... they have reference books on my shelves downstairs and story books in the spare bedroom for when they stay over and there are probably some they have outgrown now- I usually give those to our neighbour who has girls a couple of years younger!

This probably sounds ridiculous, but that fact so many of you agree on the Rowling situation makes what has been an awful couple of months a hell of a lot easier. Plus learning that Stephen King called her out for it makes me inclined to fill an entire bookcase with his books.

Back