• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What have you given up for lent

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I usually give up something for lent but last minute planning as always has left me sat here on ash Wednesday wondering what to give up. As my birthday is in lent anything I give up will have an "except on my birthday" clause.

I'm thinking I'll give up chocolate but there goes my plans of making millionaires shortbread this week.

Are any of you giving anything up for lent?

I should probably give up bad carbs... or sugar...? Or something bad for me?
I don’t suppose you can buy will power in a bottle? 🤔

I'm a Catholic and had a no meat Friday during lent, just fish. I'm not very religious though but I try to follow it coz my family does it ever since I can remember. I used to go to church for Ash Wednesday as well and have the ash cross on my forehead for the day, also Palm Sunday where we have some palm leaves being blessed. We also have a tradition of visiting at least 7 churches. You can read the Philippine tradition during Holy Week here: Traditions and Practices During Holy Week in the Philippines - Balay.ph. But like I said, I'm not religious and did all these because of the family. I haven't been to the church for a very long time.

One year I gave up swearing and priced my cuss-words according to severity from 10p to 50p. I didn't think I was very sweary but the collection plate got over £35 on Easter Sunday and I was so embarrassed that I changed my potty-mouth ways for good!

There is a bit of a get-out clause which I only realised a few years back when I did the maths... Lent is supposed to be 40 days, yes? Google it...
"In the Roman Rite since 1970, Lent starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Thursday Evening (before the Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper). This comprises a period of 44 days. The Lenten fast excludes Sundays and continues through Good Friday and Holy Saturday, totalling 40 days."

So in theory you can have a bit of Chocolate on the Sundays which helps if you're hankering all week. Mothering Sunday also falls in Lent (at least here in the UK it does) and there is a tradition of a Simnel cake with marzipan topping. Our Church usually shares one after the service 😉

The trend in recent years is to 'take up' something for lent rather than give up something. So for the religious you might take up starting/ending the day with 5 minutes of prayer, or taking time each day to read a bit of the bible. Or reaching out to one person each day by text/phone/letter/visit to make sure they are doing OK. Hubs isn't churchy but he's aiming for his 10,000 steps each day. Son is going to increase harmony in the home by remembering to close doors behind him - because when you're all shivering downstairs despite the heating being on for hours and you realise that someone has left both the bathroom window and the bathroom door wide open it's very hard to keep your temper! I think it's a good exercise for all!

Our forebears used to find creative ways around the Lenten fast restrictions.
As meat was rarely allowed they redefined puffins as fish because they live at sea.
Barnacle geese were also classed as fish because they swim.

We had a lovely Zoom Ash Wednesday service this morning - no ashing- but a time to reflect.
We had nearly 50 people join in.

I did want to give up wine for Lent seeing as I didnt do dry january due to the new lockdown with extra locks on and not much opportunity for healthy exercise or going to work or achieving much... but then piggy daddy brought me wine yesterday and then he annoyed me today and caused an argument which triggered wine drinking accompanied by feelings of guilt for both drinking wine during lent and for having quite a heated argument in front of the piggies which I try not to do because they dont like it...
So its all a bit of a fail today, I might try again though in a few days' time... there's 40 days to get it right arent there...?

Do you have any inspirational resources for us @Merab's Slave ? I always think people rather forget why they are giving things up for Lent... I reminded myself by looking for the hymn "40 days and 40 nights" that my late Nana used to like on youtube... but there was a very attractive youngish man performing a beautiful acoustic rendition with a guitar which perhaps isnt quite the asceticism we are aiming for... but he was very inspirational!

How about spending a few minutes each day remembering something good, something that made you happy, something you're grateful for?

Makes us realise how lucky we really are and that although living through a pandemic is no fun, there's still a lot of good.

I've loved some of the jokes, cartoons and memes that have come out during Covid that made me smile.
This is one of my favourites:

Guys, just to let you know I had the Russian Covid19 vaccination yesterday and can tell you there are absolutely no negative sideffski efectovski secundariosvki Кто может это прочитать Обожаю Владимира Путина!

How about spending a few minutes each day remembering something good, something that made you happy, something you're grateful for?

Makes us realise how lucky we really are and that although living through a pandemic is no fun, there's still a lot of good.

I've loved some of the jokes, cartoons and memes that have come out during Covid that made me smile.
This is one of my favourites:

Guys, just to let you know I had the Russian Covid19 vaccination yesterday and can tell you there are absolutely no negative sideffski efectovski secundariosvki Кто может это прочитать Обожаю Владимира Путина!

I already keep a jurnal where I write something that's made me smile each day and once a week I write something I'm proud of. I started in January as part of my new year's resolution to take more active measures to protect my mental health and so far it seems to have been working.

I have never given anything up for Lent but suggested to her that I could forgo shaving my legs
I once heard two very posh ladies at a bus stop (with their Costas) having a little rant about Mo-vember where guys grow a moustache to raise awareness of Men's Health issues. I'm not sure they realised how loud they'd got but as I went past...

Lady One: "It's all very well but if they go to the doctors they're always taken seriously but if we go we get fobbed off with 'Women's problems' and 'You'll just have to put up with it my dear' and there's so much more that can go wrong with us - I mean there's always something playing up, but they get Movember and what do we get? Hm? Hm?
Lady Two: "...Fanuary?"

and I gave such a snort of laughter that they both jumped and I had to scuttle away with my head down. So maybe we should all grow it out for Women's Health awareness!

I once heard two very posh ladies at a bus stop (with their Costas) having a little rant about Mo-vember where guys grow a moustache to raise awareness of Men's Health issues. I'm not sure they realised how loud they'd got but as I went past...

Lady One: "It's all very well but if they go to the doctors they're always taken seriously but if we go we get fobbed off with 'Women's problems' and 'You'll just have to put up with it my dear' and there's so much more that can go wrong with us - I mean there's always something playing up, but they get Movember and what do we get? Hm? Hm?
Lady Two: "...Fanuary?"

and I gave such a snort of laughter that they both jumped and I had to scuttle away with my head down. So maybe we should all grow it out for Women's Health awareness!
I couldn’t join you but would support the cause 😁

I can't remember where I saw it first, maybe here?, but I remember hearing that the Vatican had declared that capybaras were fish so people could eat them in South America during Lent. I found an article about it in case anyone is interested.

Once Upon A Time, The Catholic Church Decided That Beavers Were Fish

I thought it was an interesting read. I'm not giving up anything for Lent. I've given up enough for covid!

I can't remember where I saw it first, maybe here?, but I remember hearing that the Vatican had declared that capybaras were fish so people could eat them in South America during Lent. I found an article about it in case anyone is interested.

Once Upon A Time, The Catholic Church Decided That Beavers Were Fish

I thought it was an interesting read. I'm not giving up anything for Lent. I've given up enough for covid!
Thanks for this - I’m always on the lookout for interesting snippets and oddities

Back