What is this in Hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a bag of hay from my local pet shop recently (end of last week)and found these seed things in it. Does anyone know what they are and are they harmful? My piggies aren't eating them, just eat the hay.

christmas2010017.jpg

christmas2010018.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They are some kind of seed pods, but I can't say from which plant. Can you just pick them out?

Reaction score
I have found those in the hay I get from the farm....no idea what it is...I just pick them out and throw them...not very helpful am I :))

Reaction score
They are some kind of seed pods, but I can't say from which plant. Can you just pick them out?

hi, and thanks for your reply :) I have tried to pick out as much as I can but there are rather a lot in the hay bag. I did wonder if they were seed pods from a wild flower or maybe a weed. I don't like them whatever they are!

Veganlove

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had seed pods like that in some hay i bought, as i was going to the vets anyway i took along a pod to ask the vet what they were - lol he knew what they were but couldn't remember the name of them - but he did say that they were from a common meadow plant and that they weren't poisonous :)

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They look like wattle seed pods, but i think i would be wrong..

Reaction score
My best guess would be a kind of vetch, it's quite a common wild flower in the UK. If you have a wild section to your garden (or if, like mine, it's all "wild section"!) try planting the seeds in the spring, the flowers are really pretty and will please the butterflies and our precious bees.

Reaction score
My best guess would be a kind of vetch, it's quite a common wild flower in the UK. If you have a wild section to your garden (or if, like mine, it's all "wild section"!) try planting the seeds in the spring, the flowers are really pretty and will please the butterflies and our precious bees.

Hi, Yes I do have a wild part of the garden as it goes, thanks for the idea, I will plant them. :)

Reaction score
I had seed pods like that in some hay i bought, as i was going to the vets anyway i took along a pod to ask the vet what they were - lol he knew what they were but couldn't remember the name of them - but he did say that they were from a common meadow plant and that they weren't poisonous :)

Ohh... i'm glad about that, thank you! I had never had a bag of hay with them in before and I have been getting hay for years!

Status
Not open for further replies.