• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

what is wrong with doing research?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I object to the comment a work colleague said to me today, she said

"any normal person will decide to get a guinea pig and just go and get one, not look up all sorts of things and the different breeds for 3 weeks"

What is wrong with finding out more about the animals you have chosen to bring into your home? I looked into the different breeds mainly out of curiosity on what was about thinking I would get a couple from the petshop that I liked the look of.

Well that was changed when I discovered that petshop cavys (and it would have been from P@H) are like puppyfarms but for small animals - well I dont support puppy farms and will not be getting them from that petshop when the time comes, I do have my piggies waiting for me as one is too young to live outside and I need the time to prepare the home for them so its perfect.

Then there was fact number 2 - once I found my second hand hutch (minus ramp) I found out that piggies can fall down the ramp and break their backs - not wishing this to happen I am making the replacement ramp with a bannister in effect, to stop them falling down the ramp, even thinking of making the ramp into a large play tunnel by slotting a home made tunnel over the ramp (and railing) so it should encourage them to walk up and down rather than camicarzie.

I wanted to know about the different breeds and coat types so I would know what ones would not suit me - long haired for instance. This was no different to me looking at getting a dog, I researched the breeds, looked at the ones I liked and discussed the health implications with my friendly vet. That narrowed the choices down and although with pedigree dogs its a little different than crossbreeds, but I knew a collie cross for instance was the wrong dog, or terriers etc. Plus of course I have never started from scratch before and having the option to buy baby or young piggies of my own or taking in unwanted ones but knowing what a teddy is or a rex etc - have a soft spot for rex and am actually getting one.

Perhaps responsible pet ownership has never crossed the ladies mind, I dont do things on a whim and I certainly dont want to be one of these people who think they are a great pet and then find out its too hard to keep them - I havent done this with the dog, 11 years together I think shows how research really does work.

I agree with you, it is a good thing to research, so you know how to care for your piggy. Good job on it! :)

I think this is the 100% correct approach well done just ignore her silly person. congrats on getting your new piggles :)

Believe me when it comes to Guinea Pigs you can never do to much research I'm still learning now. :)

Welcome to the forum xx

I couldn't be looking after my guinea pigs properly at all if I hadn't done the research that I did, in fact I probably wouldn't have got them if I hadn't found out what lovely creatures they are! Ignore silly comments like that, you're doing the right thing and any guinea pig would be lucky to have you as their slave!xx>>>

17 days left (and counting) till I can pick them up - long story short, one of the piggies was unexpedently pregnant so waiting for baby (who is just one and female) to be old enough to cope with being outside in the hutch I am lovingly repairing, cleaning and sprucing up while its empty.

I am even looking at getting some metal grids over the next few months ready for winter when they will come inside - see not really mean, outside during warmer times will be much better for them, the sunshining for example. Think inside from Nov - end of march is just right for them (and I am making lots of snuggling warm beds and tunnels for them to be able to keep warm in.

what a silly woman. Before i got my pigs i went to the libary and got out every book about them i could find!

I have a feeling my bookshelves will be amply stocked with guinea pig books as they are with dog books :p8)

That is on my list, and the encyclopedia one - have the dog version so would be fine to have that also. I so far have a very small pet book which I got for £1 off ebay, and have my eye on three others - two I have already mentioned.

Believe me when it comes to Guinea Pigs you can never do to much research I'm still learning now. :)

Welcome to the forum xx

Could not agree more :) I have become an obsessive research nut 8:) with my piggies and get ridiculed at times at work (apart from one colleague who has a rescue cat and understands my passion, we have become firm friends)
Whoever said this to you isn't worth your time mallethead !

Could not agree more :) I have become an obsessive research nut 8:) with my piggies and get ridiculed at times at work (apart from one colleague who has a rescue cat and understands my passion, we have become firm friends)
Whoever said this to you isn't worth your time mallethead !

I'm the "crazy guinea pig girl" ive had things said to me like "you treat them like there your kids!" people make me so mad!

I'm the "crazy guinea pig girl" ive had things said to me like "you treat them like there your kids!" people make me so mad!

Yup, know what you mean. My latest addition is a little girl and my colleagues could not believe I had bought pink baby blankets from Mothercare etc. for her ?/ :p

lol you want to come to my house, all my girls are on pink & purple fleeces with pink tunnels and toys (even a pink princess castle hutch) and the boys are on blue & red with matching toys :red
They're aren't my children as such as I have 2 daughters but they are my furry babies in a way :).
It's the same with my dogs, I have my 'big man' my old collie x g/s and my 'little man' my puppy Bichon Frise who are both spolit rotten.

I think it's a great idea to research any big decision and even though I've had guinea pigs before, I bought books, borrowed books and looked on the internet before getting mine, but having said that I'm still finding things out now.

This will be the lady who buys the kids a pet then a couple of months later it is advertised on preloved because the kids lost interest, or ringing a rescue to take 'it' off her hands because she didn't realise they needed cleaning, needed feeding, needing care, time, etc etc. Ddurrrrr. You can never research enough. Good for you. xx

lol you want to come to my house, all my girls are on pink & purple fleeces with pink tunnels and toys (even a pink princess castle hutch) and the boys are on blue & red with matching toys :red
They're aren't my children as such as I have 2 daughters but they are my furry babies in a way :).
It's the same with my dogs, I have my 'big man' my old collie x g/s and my 'little man' my puppy Bichon Frise who are both spolit rotten.

I think it's a great idea to research any big decision and even though I've had guinea pigs before, I bought books, borrowed books and looked on the internet before getting mine, but having said that I'm still finding things out now.

ooooh i know the hutch you mean i was gonna get that but my girls are in the giant nero cage which they love. Theres is also full of pink houses and stuff the bouys have blue. although mr frodo did have a pink house lol!

and its attitudes like your work colleagues that lead to uncared for and neglected piggies that often end up poorly in rescues. You on the other hand are doing the right thing so well done

I just went out and purchased some Guinea pigs without researching a few years back now, we had no internet at the time and for some reason I didn't think about book buying. They didn't suffer for it, because I'm not a complete idiot and they are both coming up to 4 years old now. Still healthy and active, but obviously I have been researching now I can. Just saying that not all people with limited prior knowledge, will neglect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back