What job could you never do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

Following on from another thread...

Which job or line of work could you never do? No matter how much they paid you!

To me it would be working as a teacher or classroom assistant. I admire people who can do it and appreciate that it must have it's rewards... but listening to some of the stories my friends who work in this environment tell...I wouldn't last 5 minutes x8)

I'm not particularly child orientated mind, so that might have something to do with it ::)

Barbara

Abnoba

Reaction score
I couldnt work with children either. Just not patient enough... ::)
I'm not too bad with babies or toddlers, but from the age 6 plus - hopeless.

I could not work anywhere where I would have to work with dead people. Its bad enough the people we saw dying in nursing homes, and making them look nice and peaceful for when the relatives arrive :(
but, I dont know what its called, where they actually put makeup on them so they look good? or the ones from the police that have to figure out how the person died? eeek, no way!

S

snugglypig

I would never be a teacher not for all the money in the world.

I haven't the patience either and can't stand being back chatted and the kids nowadays seem to do alot of it :(

karen

michellemuffin

Reaction score
after having 5 kids of my own my maternal instincts have long since gone, and the thought of being in a class of kids no way, big repsect for all the teachers who do it though, I could never work with a vet when he has to put the animals to sleep, I'd be begging them let them live etc I know its for their own good and many are in pain but just the thought of ending an animals life no way, i much prefer animals to people anyway, I'd probably suggest we put the owner down instead, being in the same position back in july with Charlie I know it does'nt make sense,

D

DebbieR

I'm totally with you with the teacher bit. They couldn't pay me enough. Kids scare me. >:D I also would never be a traffic warden or a council tax collector - what a thankless task that would be.

I wouldn't mind being a mortuary attendant though. I nearly applied for the job once but you have to have loads of qualifications. They also wanted you to have excellent comunication skills too. Dunno what for you'll hardly be entering into conversation with the clients will you? ;D I also have a friend who is a forensic scientist and that sounds fascinating. I love hearing her tales :)

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anywhere where animals were suffering like a factory, farm, circus, zoo, lab etc...or kitchens where i had to cook with meat, totally against my vegan beliefs! Couldnt work for any cosmetic company who tested on animals either >:( wouldnt even work for Body Shop after the Loreal takeover!

Give me my teaching anyday! I might moan about students but I love it really :) I love working with cheeky teenagers, I use to enjoy my residential work too.

Another job Id hate would be outside jobs in cold wet weather or anything involving working in adventure sports as I'm not in any way into that!

Alison :)

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I must be mad then as I am a teacher! I work with year 2 now but I have taught most Primary ages. I moan about my job like mad but I do love it .

As for jobs I could never do - bin man, gardner etc. Anything cold, wet and dirty really!

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Debbie, I always wanted to work in a mortuary too. The dead can't hurt you or be unkind to you, and your job is very worthwhile, as post mortems provide some kind of comfort to the families.

I could never do anything with kids, especially the little ones - yuck!

Other jobs I couldn't do - bin man, debt collector, anything in local government, the man who empties the dog bins.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I could never be a firefighter, I've had a fear of fire since I was little (my mum says she thinks I was burnt at the stake in a former life ;D). The thought of running into burning buildings when everyone else is running out .... no thank you !

The other job would be air hostess, I hate flying, don't intend to fly ever again unless I have to so that too would be a nightmare job.

Abnoba

Reaction score
Lucinda said:
I could never do anything with kids, especially the little ones - yuck!

Other jobs I couldn't do - bin man..
Oh, I always wanted to do that job! As a little kid I always fancied being able to just stand on the back, holding on to a driving car :)
It seemed like such a cool way to travel ^^

C

carrot_tit

I couldn't work with mentally ill people, i would find it just too upsetting.

When i was 16 i got a job in a nursing home and a lot of the residents had alziemers and demenia (i know i've not spelt them right!), one lady would wonder up and all day saying that her son was coming to visit her that day. When i mentioned this to the senior sister she informed me that her son had been dead for a number of years and initially they had told her that everytime but then she was stricken with grief but would have forgotten by the next day, in the end they would just encourage her to sit and wait for him. It was so distressing. Another lady had a severe case of Alzeimers and could turn violent at the drop of a hat. On my first day she knocked me to the floor and kicked me in the stomach. It was such as shock as she didn't look like she would hurt a fly.

I could work with young children but not teenagers as i think i might kill them!

S

SkinnyLover

I couldnt work with the elderly that cant wipe thier own bums, my little boys nappies are bad enough

G

gothchick1515

I'm suprized so many people wouldnt work with children! I love it! anyways i couldnt work with the elderly who has illnesses like alzheimers or dementia as i would get to destressed! :'( i also couldnt work with the pre-school age children from 5-11 i love working with them but when they are 2-4 they stress me out!

C

carrot_tit

SkinnyLover said:
I couldnt work with the elderly that cant wipe thier own bums, my little boys nappies are bad enough
It's much more embarrassing for person whose bum your wiping. Imagine being an 80 odd year old man and being washed by a 16 year old girl. Mind you i think most nursing homes now insist on your being 18 to work in them now.

Working in one has reallly put me off having relatives in them.

H

hils78

I always said that I could never work with the elderly - but have been talking to my parents today about getting a property so I can look after my grandad who turned 101 last month! The nursing home fees are crippling my mum & it would be cheaper to buy a custom property & rent mine out.
Getting back on topic I could never work at a sewerage plant. There is one I have to drive by sometimes - makes me want to hurl every time. Want to now even thinking about it!

Abnoba

Reaction score
I like it.

I have been working in nursing and in residential homes, and it is just sooo rewarding.

You always get good and bad members off staff - and when a lady had not gotten to the toilet in time, and wet herself, she rang the bell. when I entered the toilet she sighed in relief and said "Oh I am SO glad it is you!"

you need to help people, with sometimes icky jobs - but its not more icky than what a nurse has to do, when they put dressings on and work with blood and pus and other body fluids...
The people are embarrassed, and it is up to you to make them feel like it is not such a big deal, that you dont mind, that you are there for them, and that they are safe and dont need to worry, despite them not being able to do the things they used to do...

And they do worry. They are anxious. And its up to you to tell them that its alright and that they dont need to worry because whatever happens - you will be there.

It gives you so much, no office job in the world could do that for me.

Of course, you get people with behaviour problems, but there is training available for challenging behaviour, learning disabilites and dementia. As long as your colleagues and your team managers are there to support you, and you get the appropriate training (eg not being thrown in the deep end on your first day at work), its really not that bad.

H

hils78

Grandad has a fantastic physical health - no medication & perfect blood pressure. He is just loosing the plot slightly gets very confused. He hasn't got dementure though apparantly. He thinks he is living in a hotel in London 9nursing home in rural Lincolnshire!). Poor old bugger.

Abnoba

Reaction score
Yes, that can be very bad.. We have a lady here who thinks its her own house she is living in.. She gets really upset because there are always so many people there.. and she wants them to leave before she goes to bed.. She just doesnt understand where she is now.. It must be quite frightening for her, think you were in your own house and there are strangers everywhere who will not leave no matter how often you ask them to or shout at them.. :(

C

chinakit

Jobs I could never do ... Traffic Warden for one :-\

Also working for the CSA / DWP, ie the job I have just had to leave. It made me ill the way they treat people, and I just could not cope with it at all.

Also I doubt I could cope in any kind of call centre - battery hen working!

Status
Not open for further replies.