• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What kind of questions to ask the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Like I've said before, I'm preparing myself for my future piggies.

Anyway, as soon as I adopt them, I will make appointments with the Vets. The Vet I am going to is Banfield. They do Dogs, Cats, Small Animals and Reptiles. We've used them for our Dogs and I've taken a previous Guinea Pig there.

What kind of questions should I ask? I am DEFIANTLY going to ask about the sex, just to make sure the Adoption was right.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would just expect them to do a full health check, and by that I mean:

- Overall body size and shape (felt by stroking the piggies), feeling for any lumps especially on the underside and under the chin;
- Hair and skin, vet should look all over the body, but especially the rump, looking all the way down the hair shafts to the skin. Fur pull to check the hair is not breaking easily (due to mites) or is not sliding out of the skin easily (fungal);
- Check the legs and feet for normal movement, clip the nails if necessary;
- Palpate the abdomen (to check for bloat) and palpate the bladder (to check for urine retention or pain);
- Check eyes, ears, nose;
- Check incisors - if the pig is eating well and the incisors look healthy then I would not feel the need to request a full dental (molar) examination.

Other than that, if you have any specific questions then it's a good time to ask them, but my priority would be ensuring the vet gives a thorough health check (not just a glance over). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.