• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What to expect after neuter procedure?

squeaksandcarrots

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig, Nickel, is getting neutered next week and I'd just like to know what to expect/prepare for after he gets the surgery done. Any tips would be very helpful :)
Also, how long should I wait before putting Nickel and my female piggie, Penny, together once Nickel has recovered?
Thanks for the help!

My guinea pig, Nickel, is getting neutered next week and I'd just like to know what to expect/prepare for after he gets the surgery done. Any tips would be very helpful :)
Also, how long should I wait before putting Nickel and my female piggie, Penny, together once Nickel has recovered?
Thanks for the help!

Hi!

Please wait 6 weeks post-op. This follows current welfare practice.
The little baby in my avatar, now 6 years old Tegan, is the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine), just to prove that it can really happen as late as that! I have however yet to hear of an over 6 weeks post-op baby accident despite hundreds of boars having been neutered in the meantime. The news would make the rounds like wildfire, believe me!

Please take the time to read these guides here; you'll find that they'll answer all your questions and likely some more you haven't thought you had!

All the best!

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts
Tips For Post-operative Care
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Back