What to use as flooring for my new pen.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

penfold118

Hi thought I would ask in general as everyone seems to be in here tonight :)

I have bought 20 squares to start on my c & c cage, but I am struggling
to find coroplast, any ideas were I can get this or a good substitute ?
Is MDF OK or does it just turn to mush after a few months?

Ta

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
MDF should be okay, but you would need to give it a couple of coats of non toxic varnish to protect it. If you are going to be moving it around, plywood varnished would be lighter.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've used lino from B&Q and cut it like you would coroplast and it's good :)

Kathryn xx

P

penfold118

kayjay said:

Kathryn xx
Hey thats a good idea, i think I have some stone effect lino from my kitchen.....

P

penfold118

kayjay said:

Kathryn xx
The lino I have is quite thin, as I am having on the floor would that be OK or would it be
best to lay it over MDF ?

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I us th gris to mak a bas an thn lin it with th lino. It's only chap lino from B&Q so I suppos is quit thin too. It fols asily so you gt sis, thickr lino w us for th kitchn wouln't fol. Try it an s.

Kathryn xx

[colorr]Amin Not: Eit link out

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shark and Mel

Was thinking of using adhesive lino floor tiles as they are easier to cut and fit. bit worried about the glue used on the back of them, don't want it to be toxic for them or am I just worrying about nothing ?

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't know sorry! I cut mine so there's about 5 inches standing up to catch the poops and I would think this was quite hard to do with tiles.

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have used sticky tiles to line a wooden hutch with no problems - just cut them to size very carefully so there are no tempting bits to chew on!

P

penfold118

Well I have been a bit busy the last few days so the house has not progressed v quickly ::)
I have all necessary parts except the flooring would really like to use coroplast or similar but cant
find it any were ! Anyone got any ideas in the notts area ?

The problems with using tiles is its only going to be supported at the ends so really needs to be strong enough to support itself in the middle..... Would use MDF but slightly worried about the durability.

Wow that's my longest post ever :D

P

penfold118

At last its finished, I went for a sheet of MDF covered in really thick lino...

The boys have just moved in and were popcorning like crazy after a couple of minutes :D
I have spotted a few design faults but will sort them out when they are having some floor time.

Although its pretty cr*p compared to some of the ones I have seen I am really chuffed with
the finished article and i think Ronnie and Reggie are as well, I have taken a couple of pics on
my phone so will try and post some pics asap.

Jez.......

Status
Not open for further replies.