What unusual foods do you give your cavies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Godfrey

As well as all the usual foods mine love toast, banana skins and raw potatoes.

C

claire

Yep mine love toast too, they only get that as a treat though ;D

Beni loves milk the other two arn't really bothered.

They love a bit on cranberry juice every now and again.

Reaction score
I thought potatoe especailly raw was a no no becasue of the starch in them, mine adore bananas in their skins and grapes

Reaction score
Yeah raw potato is meant to be a no-no - it's not heavily poisonous in that it will kill a piggy though.

It's only really if they have it everyday and quite a lot of it. Excessive starch is not good for their system. It plays havoc with digestion.

Mine have a few peelings once in a blue moon.. If you do that, you have to make sure there is no sprouting. Sproutings ARE poisonous.

Unusual foods... hmmm, Tonic likes the odd bit of yoghurt and custard..

Dairy too is meant to be a no-no, but a little once in a blue moon doesn't hurt..

Also a bit of crunchy bread and banana skins.

xx Mrs Player xx

Reaction score
Just to say.. I've had piggies since I was 12, am 24 now, and they've always had potato peelings and they've been fine. Ok they may've passed on now, but that wasn't due to what they were being fed.

xx Mrs Player xx

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Surely raw potato is poisonous. It is to humans - it is a nightshade!

Reaction score
Think it affects people differently love, but he's always munched on a bit of raw potato when he's making chips or peeling them to be boiled.-

G

Godfrey

Yes I've given my cavies raw potatos cut in quarters for many years. They love them and show no signs of ill health - quite the opposite. If you look up under Google, there are some different opinions, I was always told that potatos that have gone green on the outside due to being exposed to excessive light, were bad for humans.
If you look up the Vets below under Google, there's an interesting article on Cavies including the end quote.

LANSDOWN VETERINARY SURGEONS "Raw carrot and potato (eg peelings) are also good"

M

Michele

maybe its one of those vegetables that no one can decide on ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Reaction score
There's quite a bit of contraversy (spelling?) on many foods whether they are good or bad.. think mainly depends on tastes and whether or not you want to try them in the first place.

Quite often people rely heavily on books and written infomation, but not experience.

Reaction score
kellyandpiggies said:
There's quite a bit of contraversy (spelling?) on many foods whether they are good or bad.. think mainly depends on tastes and whether or not you want to try them in the first place.

Quite often people rely heavily on books and written infomation, but not experience.

thats why I go on this forum because books dont always have the answer I'd much rather take others real life experiences then go by books, they are written on the whole to sell, and I have had many contridictory answers in diffrent books and then it gets muddled, so I go by real life experiences more then books,
as for raw potatoes I remember having bunnys and boiling them up potatoe peelings adding bran to it and they loved it, but as you say Kelly dont always go by the books, some of mine are so out of date in information, at least the forum is now and up to date,
food is always going to be a topic of some do it others dont, mine like whole meal toast and expectant mums are always given brown bread in diluted evaporated milk, both loved but not always recomended,

Status
Not open for further replies.