what would happen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

khadijah

Hi I just need advice about letting my new piggoes out in the living room.

Ive had them only a week so they are not exactly tame as yet. they can now be picked up in the cage but sometimes with a little struggle.

I really need to be able to let them out every morning while I clean the cage and they could have some breakfast or run about or whatever.

But I'm a bit apprehensive as they are babies and not so used to me.

So my question is what would happen if they are let to roam in the room, will they just hide behind the sofa.. and then be impossible to catch ?

I'm a bit worried on how to get them back in the cage !

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

lolseh

Reaction score
When I first got Misty I let him run around my room and he spent most his time under my bed running around but it took me and my mum and also 30 mins to catch him to put him back in :D Now we just put them into a run :)

C

Cyberjez

When I first got my pigs I used to put them in a Cardboard box (when cleaning them out) with some hay/barley straw and a grassy hutch to hide in - I am sure that chasing them around the whole room to catch them will only stress them out so let them get used to being handled fully first and then later you will be able to let them out in the room and they will be a lot easier to catch again without them getting stressed out. Alternatively find some way of enclosing them in a small area of the room where you won't need to chase around to catch them.

Good luck!

G

GuineaPiggable

Hm. Well, depends. On like how big your living room is, where theyre gonna be, what theyre eating, etc. Id cut off a small piece of the living room, kinda like a cage, make a wall out of pillows if you want, and let them run around in there.

K

khadijah

oh I like that idea about the pillows.. seems nicer than putting them in a box (they didnt like it when I did that) and I havent got any run or pen yet.

I'll give it a go maybe tonight ! :)

Abnoba

Reaction score
I got those Argos grids for 8 pound, it takes me five minute to make a little run thats big enough to keep them entertained while I clean the cage:

maybe that would be a cheap enough option?

I always hesitate about leaving them to roam free, simply because we have alot of cables in our house, and a friend of ours had a piggy that electrocuted itself when it decided cables are tasty :(

K

khadijah

thats a great idea for a cheap run.

I tried to make a pen last night and it so failed... they both escaped ! one went back in on his own and then I had to catch the other one !
So I think Id better get some grids !

Abnoba

Reaction score
if you dont have an Argos near you, or they are already out of stock, I heard B&Q have some aswell.. dont know under which name they sell them though.

K

khadijah

thats great, Ill check.

And I think I'll get some of those drainpipes (are they?) to make a tunnel.. looks fab !

Status
Not open for further replies.