What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallym

Reaction score
Could really do with your thoughts and advice please .Should I find Malcolm a mate i.e female which means having him castrated,or should I try and bond him with a young boar.He is having lots of cuddles inside but last night I put Jackies guinea pig sounds on the computer,and he was wheaking back all excitedly.....I feel he needs to have a companion but I am worried 2 males will not get on.Fred and George are together but are brothers and have always been together.....
Malcolm is apparently 16 weeks accdng to P@h, Fred and George are about 12 weeks.....any thoughts would be appreciated ?

H

hils78

I would def go for a very young boar. Adding a female to a house with all boys could cause hayhem! Even smelling a girl could cause fireworks. But you never know till you try...

Abnoba

Reaction score
I agree with Hilary.

If he was your only pig, I would say get a female, but as you have a few boars already, a girl might upset their friendship and cause alot of trouble. Why dont you get a young boar from a local rescue, because if he doesnt get on with him, you are able to bring him back and try him with another...

I am sure you will find the right partner for him :)

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Good luck i'd not put him with a sow when the other boars could smell her, big trouble :D
I'm sure you'll find a great partner for him, let us know :)

Beks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is rare that a trio of boars will work BUT it has happened and can happen, though the cases I know of have all been cage mates from babies and have a lot of room for time out....

I would try him with a baby boar, if you contact your local rescues they should let you take malcolm along to 'choose' himself, though you need the baby to be as young as possibly ideally. Sometimes you may find a breeder your only option as they may let a boar go at 3/4 weeks which is the ideal age for intros.

All this said though, Malcolm may decide he likes being solitary and as long as he can hear and see the others he'll be ok :)

C

cavies

This is very interesting advice. Hope all goes well with Malcolm. And I looove that name. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.