• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Whats best to use for mites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
At the moment I have a texel gp with mites and have used xenex spay. Which isnt really good as she is long hair and gets quite wet. I know that there is now a xenex 450 (I think) spot on that can be used. Would like to know what other people use on their gp and if bathing them in would help. I have a teatree shampoo but would like to hear what other people use.

Mary

Gorgeous Guineas have products that may help with this or a good anti-parastic shampoo. If she has lice also you can use Prioderm or Lyclear to shift those....

Hope this helps.

GG shampoo and ivomec injection/ oral preparation. I found the oral preparation excellent for Rocky last time.

id just go to my vet and get it there... afaik, you get one injection, which kills off the mites, but not their eggs. then after 10 days, you get another injection, to kill off the last batch of freshly hatched mites. sometimes there is a third injection.

as I would not feel comfortable injecting things (obviously) I would just let my vet do it.

there is stuff around where you can give it orally, or drops behind the ears and all that.. but I dont know about all that really, most people I know just have those injections done.

I use Ivomec and put a drop on the bald patch behind an ear. I treat all my pigs on a 6 monthly basis, not just if they show signs of mites.

Kat

KatsCavies said:
I use Ivomec and put a drop on the bald patch behind an ear. I treat all my pigs on a 6 monthly basis, not just if they show signs of mites.

Kat

exactly what I do as well

Unfortunately, or fortunately, as the case may be...

Not all vets will sell their clients Ivomec to use as and when as it is prescription only medicine.

If a guinea pig has a mite infestation, Ivomec really is (in my opinion) the drug of choice. Obviously as you work in av et surgery Mary, you may be able to get your vet to provide you with a small bottle. Good luck.
Gorgeous Guineas shampoos are very good but a substitute for Ivomec.

It's also worth keeping in mind Mary that fungal infections can mimic mite infestation and the two can be difficult to tell apart sometimes...other times it is pretty easy to see which is causing the problem. I will always treat for both.

Barbara

cavykind said:
Unfortunately, or fortunately, as the case may be...

Not all vets will sell their clients Ivomec to use as and when as it is prescription only medicine.

If a guinea pig has a mite infestation, Ivomec really is (in my opinion) the drug of choice. Obviously as you work in av et surgery Mary, you may be able to get your vet to provide you with a small bottle. Good luck.
Gorgeous Guineas shampoos are very good but a substitute for Ivomec.

It's also worth keeping in mind Mary that fungal infections can mimic mite infestation and the two can be difficult to tell apart sometimes...other times it is pretty easy to see which is causing the problem. I will always treat for both.

Barbara

I have now got a small bottle of Ivomec!

That's great, worth it's weight and gold to a guinea pig with mites :)
Your Texel girl should soon be feeling better!

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back