• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What's Wrong With My Guinea?1

MacK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got my children a guinea pig named Norman. We have had him since Easter. I noticed after a few days he was itching and biting a lot, so of course I googled it and figured he has mites. I treated him with Invermectin and it hasn't gotten better. Last night I noticed he was jumping around ( which is common) on the couch but when he would jump he would kind of fall over. I also noticed when I pet him in certain spots he turns in head around like it could be bothersome to him. Last night he laid beside my leg and he cuddled next to me and I can tell he doesn't feel good. He is still eating very well and is drinking. I'm not sure if anyone has had this happen and what was the cause. I have a vet appointment set up for him tomorrow. We have come to love this little guy and would hate for something to be seriously wrong with him.

Poor little guy! It does sound like mites: Shop bought ivermectin is so weak it's not worth the packaging it's wrapped in sadly. A piggy savvy vet will be able to treat him properly and hopefully he'll feel better soon :)

Have you considered getting Norman a friend? Piggies are best in pairs and there are some fab rescues around that could help you bond him :) Piggies are social creatures so need their own kind to live a happy life :)

I have considered getting him a little friend now I am afraid if I get him a friend it will have the same problem Norm has and mites (if that is the case) will sped again once I get Norm treated and to the vet today.

Yes definitely get him treated first :) When you look for a friend for him it's best to go through a good rescue as they can guarantee they don't have mites and then they can help you bond, takes all the stress of you and your family too! :)

Hope all goes well at the vets! :)

He’s okay just has mites! He was given a shot and will get another in a few weeks

Back